Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got 3.378 gallons today and calculated around 41 mpg. The reserve light came on at around 128ish but sometimes would disappear. Do I have a faulty wire or something?

I have a 2003 SV650S two bros exhaust (slip), k&n air filter, and techlusionFI.

I guess what I am searching for is:

When does the reserve light turn on? (Like when there is 1 gallon left etc...)
Does 40ish mpg sound right? (quick accel rk chain kit and 4.5k - 6k rpm most of the time)
Or is something horribly wrong.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
try it without the FI thing, ya don't need it...

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
The light will go out if the angle of the tank (bike on incline) raises the fuel above the sensor, while riding. From your description of mileage and amount of fuel put in, sounds like possibly what is happening. Your S model has a 4.5 gal tank.

IMHO, I would run it thru the flashing light stage, into the solid light stage, then fill up to find your parameters. When it goes solid, you should have about .5 gallons left.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
The light will go out if the angle of the tank (bike on incline) raises the fuel above the sensor, while riding. From your description of mileage and amount of fuel put in, sounds like possibly what is happening. Your S model has a 4.5 gal tank.

IMHO, I would run it thru the flashing light stage, into the solid light stage, then fill up to find your parameters. When it goes solid, you should have about .5 gallons left.
03s don't have the fancy 2-stage light (flashing/solid), we're simple folk with lights that are just on/off :)

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
03s don't have the fancy 2-stage light (flashing/solid), we're simple folk with lights that are just on/off :)
That's nice to know. I take it my mpg is acceptable as well? Haven't really done an extended rode trip yet. Jaunts in town and a couple curves sometimes spirity.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
My light usually turns on around 240-260km (~150-160mi) when commuting but does the same thing as yours and will sometimes turn off depending incline. If I fill up around when the light turns on, it's usually about 13-14 litres (~3.5 gallons). IIRC, the SV tank is 18 litres. Your mpg sounds about right to me.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
You're not revving the bike very hard. I would expect better mileage. But, 40-50 seems to be the range, unless you are shifting all the time nearer to 7-8rpm.

·
Registered
219 Posts
my bike does that too, i hit around 140ish, granted im doing a lil over the speed limit ;) but mine flashes constantly. yes flat surface. i only ride freeway to and from work. so i hit traffic too. but on my sv1000 it flashed constantly then solid when im basically out of fuel

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cruising. Surge like a lurch? Around 3.5 I feel like its noisy and clunkier like it needs some gas. Anything above 4k is gravy. What's the power band like lowest rpm to cruise.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
You basically found the range. The SV motor can tolerate lugging at lower rpms and in the lower gears, but as you have found out, much happier closer to 4K. Ducati motors are similar in this respect due to both V twin motors be able to rev high and making max torque above 7K. Nothing to worry about, listen to what the motor is telling you, and throttle accordingly.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Over the weekend I ran out of gas while I was driving (luckily just around the block from my house). The reserve light did not come on as usual, so at first I didnt think my bike was dying as a result of being out of gas. Anyone know why the light might not have come on? After I got gas it started and ran perfect--I was very low.

Also, is there a reserve? (my gf's ninja 250 has a manual reserve switch which is why I ask, and I've read the previous gen had one, but I'm really not sure) I have an 03 sv650n. I havent had much luck finding out whether it has one or not.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The reason those two bikes have one is because they are carb'd. I may be wrong. My first bike was a 2005 Ninja 250 and it's petcock was located next to me knee. Our bikes don't have one like ^ onecartel said.

·
Registered
47 Posts
slightly off topic as I have a 2nd gen, but I've only tested the limits of my reserve light (solid indicator) once -- I ran out of gas after only 20 miles or so. Now I get nervous whenever it comes on so I try to fill up before it gets there... and then am surprised when it only takes 3 - 3.3 gallons to fill up.

I read somewhere the 2nd gen reserve comes on when you only have a liter of fuel left, but that's obviously not the case for my bike. So long story short, monitor your mileage and don't rely on your fuel indicator

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have filled up a total of 4 times (2 weeks) since owning my 06 sv650s. I fill up when the light starts flashing (didn't even know there was a solid light that came on eventually). Every full up was literally between 3.3 and 3.4 and my total mileage ranged from 130-155. Mind you, I got better gas mileage when I was pushing the bike which I still don't understand.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
slightly off topic as I have a 2nd gen, but I've only tested the limits of my reserve light (solid indicator) once -- I ran out of gas after only 20 miles or so. Now I get nervous whenever it comes on so I try to fill up before it gets there... and then am surprised when it only takes 3 - 3.3 gallons to fill up.

I read somewhere the 2nd gen reserve comes on when you only have a liter of fuel left, but that's obviously not the case for my bike. So long story short, monitor your mileage and don't rely on your fuel indicator
On my 03 (single stage fuel light), it turns on at ~12.5-13 litres. Fuel tank is 4.5 gallons / ~17 litres.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts