Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I almost feel like I should apologize to the others in the Level 1 class. I had to be the slowest person there and it was discouraging. I didn't go there expecting to tear it up, but I also did not think I'd be so obviously outclassed by what looked like everyone else. I was holding other riders up in the turns and it had to be frustrating to everyone.

I've been riding about 1 1/2 years. I have done only local rides, and nothing aggressive. I am on a 2005 SV650 with stock tires and no mods. The problem here was lack of riding skill, not equipment, although I was low on horsepower compared to most of the bikes. If I knew what I was doing I would have done better in the corners v. the others, though.

I am not comfortable leaning, and may not really understand what is involved. On the track I felt overwhelmed by all there was to think about - corner entry speed, shifting, picking the proper line, finding the apex, etc.

I'd like to take Level 1 again, but don't want to unless I become better at handling the bike. I did learn some things. RideSmart did a very good job and I recommend them. At $100 it was a solid value. There was no wasted time - we were either on the track or in the classroom.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
do a trackday at motorsport ranch, its a much slower, more technical track.. you will learn a lot more there and wont get ran over quite as much by faster bikes

get better tires (michelin pilot powers=kickass) before your next trackday (and suspension if you can afford it)

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
If Sportbiketracktime in in TX.. take their novice class... They divide it up into fives groups. They are by far the best in track day lessons to cost paid that I have seen.

You'll get there... no worries. It just takes time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
wacky_woodchuck said:
If Sportbiketracktime in in TX.. take their novice class... They divide it up into fives groups. They are by far the best in track day lessons to cost paid that I have seen.

You'll get there... no worries. It just takes time.
+1 I've done two trackdays with STT and got every penny's worth.

BTW don't worry about being too slow in the novice group. The other riders need to learn how to "get around" a slower rider just as much as you need to learn how to go faster. :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
+1 on a trackday at MotorSport Ranch in Cresson. I've never been to TWS, but from looking at a course map I've never been too anxious to take the SV there. MSR is only 1.7 miles long and the SV does great on that track, it's not so wide open. It's also way closer to the metroplex than TWS. However because of the off-camber turns sport tires are very useful at MSR.

It's important to not worry about faster riders behind you. As long as you're taking proper lines and riding predictably it's up to riders behind you to make a clean pass.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
FirstSymptom said:
It's important to not worry about faster riders behind you. As long as you're taking proper lines and riding predictably it's up to riders behind you to make a clean pass.
Sooo many riders in c group dont take predictable lines though, I swear some of the guys at my last trackday were practically coming to a full stop before a turn and then just taking whatever random line they could find, especially the two crazy downhill of camber turns(in clockwise direction). It was nerve racking, trying to get used to those turns while dodging seemingly parked bikes in mid corner.

MSR rocks though, and lonestar definitely knows how to organize a trackday!

·
Registered
21 Posts
wonderjosh said:
te]

Sooo many riders in c group dont take predictable lines though, I swear some of the guys at my last trackday were practically coming to a full stop before a turn and then just taking whatever random line they could find, especially the two crazy downhill of camber turns(in clockwise direction). It was nerve racking, trying to get used to those turns while dodging seemingly parked bikes in mid corner.
God, I know! There was this lady at VIR who would try to "allow" people to pass when she would hear them come up behind her. She would take the funkiest lines and no-one knew or could predict where she might go.

I've really got to get out of the novice group.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
WillyT said:
I've really got to get out of the novice group.
Intermediate group is worse.... :shock: I want to try and do the novice til I'm fast enough to bump up to Advanced. All the intermediates, I've seen, have way to many crashes and close calls. Lots of people ride the intermediate because they think they are better than the novice group...but really aren't.

·
Registered
21 Posts
wacky_woodchuck said:
Intermediate group is worse.... :shock: I want to try and do the novice til I'm fast enough to bump up to Advanced. All the intermediates, I've seen, have way to many crashes and close calls. Lots of people ride the intermediate because they think they are better than the novice group...but really aren't.
Yeah, you're right. :?

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
I'm about to head back out there again and I don't mind the slow guys as long as they don't have fast bikes they rev out in the straights so I just have to stay behind them again once we make it to the turns.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts