Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...ok so I found a used 2001 engine to replace the 2000 on my bike. My question is, should I attempt to install this myself or have a pro do it for me. I'm pretty mechanically inclined but I have not done this before. Do I need special tools? How long will it take me approximately? Any recommendations? My mechanic said labor would be about $200. Since it's not too outrageous I don't mind paying to have it done if this is something you think a noob should NOT attempt. Thanks, for the feedback! :)

·
Registered
836 Posts
Part of me says... $200 is peace of mind for an engine swap.

The other part of me(that I listen to too often) says go for it...it'll be a great learning experience. ;D

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
If you trust and/or know your mechanic personally, 200$ is a great deal. Personally I'd do it myself, but thats only because I have some internal brain issue that makes me want to do everything myself as I desire to learn everything...but thats just me.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
for $200 id pay for it. but insist he let you watch and do some of the work. that way, next time you want to change an engine, you get out the manual and peice in what you did last time.

·
Registered
187 Posts
for $200 bucks i would NOT pay for it. A friend and I swapped engines on my bike. it takes from start to finish, around 2 hours with two people. you don't need any special tools that i can think of, a jack is useful to lift the engine in place cause it's a heavy mafaka.

G

·
Go for it and if you get screwed up in the middle of swapping just take it to him give him $150 and tell him to finish what you started!!!

·
Registered
529 Posts
I think the labor rate is something more like: $200 to swap the motor
$300 if you watch
$400 if you tried and f*cked it up

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
Where do you live ? If you live anywhere near Cleveland, I know a couple of guys that could do it in roughly 1/2 hour. BUT, it would cost you way more than $200 in beer and snacks. You'd get to watch and have to fetch tools/beer, but at least you'd be a part of the experience. ;D

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
GMslave said:
Where do you live ? If you live anywhere near Cleveland, I know a couple of guys that could do it in roughly 1/2 hour. BUT, it would cost you way more than $200 in beer and snacks. You'd get to watch and have to fetch tools/beer, but at least you'd be a part of the experience. ;D
God I wish! That would be the ideal situation for me. Being able to have someone show my how it's done and save a few bucks as well! Doesn't anyone here live near Asheville, NC! LOL.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts