Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

I'm going to try to replace my gas tank this weekend. Not sure how to start though I bought a pump to get all the gas out of the tank first.

I tried to do a search on here for 'replace gas tank' but couldn't find anything useful.

Would appreciate any instruction to remove the older gas tank / and fuel pump / and swap the pump to the new tank / reinstall.

Thanks!

·
Registered
615 Posts
there's two front bolts and one rear bolt holding the tank on. Remove the tank, unplug fuel lines and electrical connections and remove the fuel pump, then swap it onto the new tank.

Bolt the tank back on.

Not really much to it.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm .. siphoned the gas today successfully. Tank is now bone dry.

Removed the two front crews and took a look at the tank connections.

On my bike, all the hoses that the red arrows ( 1 to 3 ) pointed to is missing / not connected. Basically only the fuel line and fuel pump power ( green arrow ) was connected.

Can anyone tell me what these 3 hoses do ?

·
Premium Member
3,229 Posts
One hose is a vapor line another is the line that drains water when it rains or fuel when you spill it around the filler neck and the other it the internal overflow line where fuel can escape if you overfill and then the tank sits in the sun for a while and the fuel expands. Not absolutely necessary but having fuel drip down on your rear cylinder head doesn't sound like a great idea

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay .. figured one of them was a vapor vent line but didn't know the other 2 were fuel overflow line. Definitely will need to pick up some hoses and run those.

Also am glad to report that I picked up a copy of the Haynes manual last night on Amazon ( along with a copy of Twist 2 book .. :rock: ) .. so hopefully no more I wont be posting up any more noob questions.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep, CA bike.

I need to buy some hoses to run those lines .. probably going to run to Kragen and see if I can just buy some rubber hose to run the vent lines .. unless E33 the type of line I need to buy ?

Also, there's some white residue on the old gas tank when I removed the fuel pump .. looks like some silicon sealant residue .. do I need to put any sealant when installing the fuel pump to the new tank ?

Off topic .. I know taking off the tank is not a big deal to some but that is the most 'involved thing I've done on a bike .. ever .. so pretty proud of myself and am glad I am undertaking this project. Thanks for everyone's help so far!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts