Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, so I'm just wondering if I should get my brake lines replaced, and how much it should cost, and if i can do it myself.

A few months ago i maxed out the thumb adjuster on my front brake and took it into the shop to see if they can re-adjust my brakes so that I can reset it. They changed the brake fluid and at first the brakes were working good at setting 3. After a few weeks of riding around I noticed i need to pull the lever more and more back in order to engage the brakes and now my thumb adjuster is maxed out again.

My front brakes also have plenty of wear left on them too....what gives?

·
Registered
253 Posts
After a few weeks of riding around I noticed i need to pull the lever more and more back in order to engage the brakes and now my thumb adjuster is maxed out again.
you're losing fluid somewhere.

cheers,

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The fluid looks clear like lemonade. So say i'm losing fluid somewhere, does that mean even if i replace my brake lines it might not solve the issue? The leakage could be somewhere else right?

·
Registered
719 Posts
Squeeze the brake and hold it.. do the lines expand beyond normal?

Master cylinder rebuild kit?
Piston seals?
Good time for some steal braided lines?

·
Registered
253 Posts
So say i'm losing fluid somewhere, does that mean even if i replace my brake lines it might not solve the issue? The leakage could be somewhere else right?
the brake system is a closed system. the only things that will change the stroke of the brake lever are 1. decrease in volume of fluid or 2. increase in volume of system.

if it's 1, there should be evidence somewhere. BF is not volatile, so it leaves traces. do you see ANY indications of leakage ANYwhere? calipers? banjos?

for 2, pad wear will increase the lever stroke, but that takes place over a long time. if your brakelines are old, they CAN 'bulge' (which makes your brake lever stroke less efficient), but that also shouldn't change in a short time period - unless the brakelines are SO old they're stretching towards bursting point. which i find hard to imagine, which is why i reckon you've got leakage somewhere.

p.s. i see you've got an 03. original lines? if so, you're due for a change anyway, and braided lines aren't much more than OEM replacements.

p.p.s. i also note you're from vancouver - me too. who are u using for your service? (i've had good luck with modern, but opinions vary...) just thinking a different mechanic might uncover the cause if you can't dig it out yourself, cuz it sounds like whoever u used first off didn't solve the problem.

good luck.

·
Registered
334 Posts
perhaps the banjo bolts wernt torqued correctly and air got into the system?... but then there'd be a leak somewhere... hmmm...

Just get SS lines, a R1 master 'brembo' cylinder off ebay and take apart the callipers and clean em up real good and put it all back together. :D

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
If the level is not going down then they aren't leaking. Try bleeding the lines.

http://www.bluepoof.com/motorcycles/howto/svs_bleeding_brakes/

If that doesn't do it then the caliper piston seals may not be allowing the pistons to move smoothly. They are causing the pistons to "spring back" away from the rotor when the lever is released. Then it takes more lever movement to get them to move and squeeze the rotor. That would require taking the calipers off and replacing the seals. New brake lines are about $100 btw.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You could also try back bleeding the system. With everything on the bike, squeeze the calipers by hand to push the pistons all the way into the calipers, then pump up with the brake lever before riding, this will help see if the master is leaking past and costs nothing to do.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Buy a Mighty Vac. You'll use it over and over again for anything with hydraulic brakes. Pull all the fluid with it and then run new Dot 4 thru it and bleed them. You'll see a huge difference in your brakes...and yes, get some SS braided lines and new pads, too. You're due.

·
Registered
856 Posts
just got done with the ss brakeline /brembo/ sintered pad upgrade, i bought some ebay calipers while i was at it ,just to have a functioning system off the bike, will probabely sell it sometime. It was more than a bit of a hassle getting the lever to start pumping.Tried the gravity feed thing , the lever pumping thing ,syringe vacuum at the calipers , hose at the lever's bleeder valve, nothing. I bought a larger sized syringe at a pet supply ($5)and fitted it to the bleeder nozzle on the lever, i was going to try and push fluid into the lever,but there was solid resistance but i pulled out on the syringe and suddenly a long row of bubbles ,and better lever feel ,one more time,HEY! like the smell of napalm in the morning , a bit of bleeding on the calpers then back to the levers,done. The motorcycle season has started.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the brake system is a closed system. the only things that will change the stroke of the brake lever are 1. decrease in volume of fluid or 2. increase in volume of system.

if it's 1, there should be evidence somewhere. BF is not volatile, so it leaves traces. do you see ANY indications of leakage ANYwhere? calipers? banjos?

for 2, pad wear will increase the lever stroke, but that takes place over a long time. if your brakelines are old, they CAN 'bulge' (which makes your brake lever stroke less efficient), but that also shouldn't change in a short time period - unless the brakelines are SO old they're stretching towards bursting point. which i find hard to imagine, which is why i reckon you've got leakage somewhere.

p.s. i see you've got an 03. original lines? if so, you're due for a change anyway, and braided lines aren't much more than OEM replacements.

p.p.s. i also note you're from vancouver - me too. who are u using for your service? (i've had good luck with modern, but opinions vary...) just thinking a different mechanic might uncover the cause if you can't dig it out yourself, cuz it sounds like whoever u used first off didn't solve the problem.

good luck.
Hey, thanks for the info. I think you're right that there may be a very small leakage somewhere, and I'm postulating that the the amount lost must be very small that's y i can't locate the source of the leak.

I bought my bike second hand and I believe that they are stock lines that came with the bike. I usually take my bike to modern they're alright most of the time. One time after a front tire change my speedo didn't read properly but they quickly fixed that.

I looked at the calipers this morning and had no clue what to look for =[.

I'm going to go ahead and get the steel lines and see if that solves the problem.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You could also try back bleeding the system. With everything on the bike, squeeze the calipers by hand to push the pistons all the way into the calipers, then pump up with the brake lever before riding, this will help see if the master is leaking past and costs nothing to do.
I don't know what you're trying to say?

·
Registered
27 Posts
By pressing the pistons back into the calipers, you force the fluid and any air that might be present back up in to the master cylinder and out of the lines. I do this regularly on my dirt bike and it works great for restoring feel at the lever.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts