Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced the air box on a 2003 SV1000S with a K&N filter? If so, how did you like it and what was the size you purchased? Did you do a dyno before and after? Any answers will help. :roll:

Starman

·
Registered
111 Posts
Well....I have pipercross filters.......I am thinking about going back to some sort of air box or creating my own. I have found out from VTWIN tech guys (mainly JD Hord) that Vtwins like the pressurized air better. Which means they like a air box better than just open air.

I had a plate that went on the throttle bodies to create a kinda pressure area between the tank, frame, and this plate. Well, I decided to take it off and put it on the dyno again...lost 3 or 4 HP......THAT WAS THE ONLY CHANGE I MADE! Same dyno, same guy, same kinda fuel, etc.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is odd. Most drag bikes have the cold air induction ( open filters) on their bikes. I have never seen an air box on them and they are HP crazy. I wonder if the location of our air box has an effect on the amount of air coming through the intake. I read that the newer bike (sv's) have a 9 liter air box. I dont know what the 03's have. Did you remap after the changed filter set up? That could have been an issue with running rich.

star

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yeah, I remapped to get the fuel air back right after I took off the plate. It gained back about 3HP.

Cold air induction is FORCING air which creates pressure. That is the way I see it any ways. :? Not sure, JD won a lot of races on his twin though.

If I was racing, I would care more about HP numbers. I am very happy with the way my bike feels and runs. :twisted:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts