Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any recommendations for a replacement shifter?

She laid down in the driveway (ok ok I wasn't paying attention and thought the kickstand was down, and just, I don't know... let go?) and the knob plum broke off (glad I have the motosliders! no other damage). :hiding2:
:BangHead:
:spank:

OEM from Oneida looks like it's $69.99, but there's ton's on ebay for $20-$50, so I'm looking for recommendations.

Like, what's wrong with this one?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-2010-Suzuki-SV650-SV-650-650S-GEAR-SHIFT-LEVER-/330759219289?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d02c92859&vxp=mtr
or this one?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-Hayabusa-GSXR1300-SV650-SV650S-Gear-Shift-Lever-/110631668009?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19c2294929&vxp=mtr

Or, as long as I'm replacing it, should be be upgrading to... something?

Thanks for the help!

Melanie

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
That first one is the one I have for my bike and it's fine. You can just order that and save the original so that it can be repaired at a later date.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Mel, grab that first link. This one......

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-2010-S...Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d02c92859&vxp=mtr

That's what you need, and yes, that original OEM pedal is "repairable". I did a fine job repairing mine and everybody that broke theirs, and there's quite a few that have, have done this repair job. Hold onto that old shifter.

Don't beat yerself up over dropping the bike like that, quite a few of us have done the same thing.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK. Ordered that first one.
Now educate me on this c-clip that it looks like I'm gonna have ta get off. I'm gonna need a new tool aren't I? This isn't just a allen wrench and socket wrench job is it?
Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Great, That other link was for a first gen SV and even stated "Not for '04 +", so you got the right one coming and yes, you'll need a pair of snap ring pliers. These are very similar to what I have. They work great.

Just be careful when removing the snap ring. Sometimes they pop off the pliers after you take it off and the ring could fly off and get lost. :eek: LOL

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lol. I just read that same thing from you about it flying off on another thread I'm reading about shift lever replacement. I guess you've done that a few times. :icon_biggrin:
Also read that you can pry it off with a screwdriver? Hmmm. Guess you recommend getting that tool though?

Thanks again! ;D

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Yeah, you can pry it off with a screwdriver, but you risk putting a bend in it and it may come off while your on the road. :eek: Not good. So yes, get the tool. :)

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
There have been many posts from riders here that have had their shifter Assemblies fall off due to removing that circlip with a screwdriver too many times and you don't want to be one of them. Hahaha...Imagine being 50 miles from home on the highway and going to downshift for your exit and finding that there's no shifter and seeing it dangling in the wind. LOL One of the reasons is that doing that also messes up the grove that the clip seats in and makes it much easier for the shifter assembly to fall off. Using the pliers keeps that grove in perfect shape. :)

Oh, and when ya get that new shifter, make sure you put a little grease on the inside of the end that goes on the shaft. Not TOO much, just enough so that it doesn't go dry.

·
Registered
45 Posts
For anything that doesn't have proper seals holding the grease in, I use Bel-Ray waterproof grease. I've heard that it's used for outboard fittings on subs, from a guy who served on subs.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Since you'll be messing around in the area, unscrew the whole bolt/bushing shaft
and reinstall along with some blue loctite on the threads.
This is a famously infamous fault usually discovered while riding :p

Some blue loctite on all the footpeg mounting bolts would be good too.
The blue is for removable bolts. You'll need it eventually.
The red loctite is for permanent installation. Not the stuff you want.

·
Registered
12 Posts
ok i just replaced my shift lever this morning and i didnt see anything more than some nuts and bolts, no circlip i keep hearing about. is that only on the 04+ or what?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok i just replaced my shift lever this morning and i didnt see anything more than some nuts and bolts, no circlip i keep hearing about. is that only on the 04+ or what?
Maybe it's a 2nd gen thing... but that's what I'm looking at on my '06.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts