21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
The '07 SV1k I had for 10 years was also fun, and I'm still
@Gapgeezer sorry for bringing you back in this old thread but I feel my question doesn't warrant a whole new one.

I'm in the market for either a 650 or 1000. Minor price difference notwithstanding, I'm finding a ton of contradictory info online on how similar or different the bikes are. May I ask what made you sell your 1000 for a 650 and maybe give me your take on the differences?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hello kostaszx, no problem.

I just had the "new bike" itch real bad and made the "mistake" of stopping at a local dealer's showroom one day while out riding on my '07 SV 1000 inshort, I traded my SV 1k in on a 2019 Yamaha Tracer GT. Got a good deal that I couldn't pass on. I'd also been on the lookout for several years for another 650, but wanted a naked this time. Finally lucked up on one last year and jumped on it. I already knew what mods I wanted to do and made it happen.

The major differences between the 650 and 1K are pretty obvious if you ride both, power of course, and the weight difference can be felt. The 650 turns in much quicker on corners, the 1k fires out much faster. Both sit about the same, comparing S models, the naked, stock feels more upright naturally. I switched my 1k to an LSL riser, and top clamp kit using the oem bars from my old 2001 FZ1. Left the fairing on and it was much more comfy to me. My '08 Naked 650 with the Suburban Type 2s ( also from the '01 FZ1) now sits just about the same position as the modded 1K, though I'm leaned forward just a tiny bit more than that one. I still have the oem FZ1 bars to try if I get the urge.

My first SV was a silver '03 650 S bought new. I modded that one into a track / mountain road bike. Sold it after 3 years and regretted it. Got the 1k shortly after.
I'm not gonna tell you one's better than the other. Get whichever one is in better shape and you can afford. Unless you're a new rider, then definitely go for the 650, you don't need the extra power of the 1k yet. ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Astute observation on being a new rider.

To start, i'll be definitely doing mostly city and very little highway riding (and not quite speedy at that, even). For that reason the S is out of the question, and i'll be doing naked come 650 or 1K. Plus i enjoy the upright stance more. That then begs the question, why am i even considering the 1K?

I read opinions of people in this and other SV forums holding the suspension and brakes of the 650 in not very high regard, while the 1K supposedly has better ones. But considering the city use, maybe stiffer suspension is not that useful, detrimental even. I'll do some more test rides of local 650s and see.

Nice mods you did. I'll revisit and maybe incorporate some myself. Do you know of any effective ones to reduce weight even further?

Thank you, @Gapgeezer

21 - 25 of 25 Posts