Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an SV650 2007 which I've been using as a daily rider. But I struck some ice (yes, southern hemisphere!) exiting a slow roundabout and the rear just went out from me. A scratch on my leg but not happy to have my bike down. The mechanic who's looking over fixing what broke (clutch lever, gear shifter, handlebar twist) is getting a price on a factory new handlebar but in his words: 'it might be drug money'.

So looking for suggestions for a 3rd party handlebar. The Renthal black looks nice but it would be good to know that it fits (i.e. side to side movement isn't constrained by cables).

·
Super Moderator
8,597 Posts
Are these naked bars? If not creased or seriously tweaked they can be bent back to position.

A 3ft section of pipe over the bar end will give plenty of leverage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep. Naked. I don't have any sort of workshop and as the mechanic is doing it, I'm thinking black bars would be cool anyway. His call really about whether they can be 'tweaked' back into place.

·
Registered
64 Posts
If you go aftermarket, I think you will need to modify the throttle and the turn signal/high beam pods. There is a little nub inside that line up with holes on the stock one bar to prevent twisting and it spinning on the bar. Am I correct in assuming that yours has that as well? Not a big deal, very easy mod it seems, just something to be aware of.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
I don't know if they're available over there, but Bikemaster Superbike bars are very similar to the originals. Just a touch lower with a bit less sweep, I find them more comfortable. They're cheap, easily shortened and can be drilled to accommodate the above-mentioned nub.

·
Super Moderator
6,869 Posts
I don't know if they're available over there, but Bikemaster Superbike bars are very similar to the originals. Just a touch lower with a bit less sweep, I find them more comfortable. They're cheap, easily shortened and can be drilled to accommodate the above-mentioned nub.
I've purchased and installed numerous BikeMaster bars over the years.

I'm fairly certain these are BikeMaster Superbike bars -

Different bend than stock, but more comfortable IMO.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'd just heat the old ones up and bend them back as close to the correct bend you can get. Then I'd order these that I bought from China. They are fatbars and are a perfect fit. Very comfy.

I bought them from aliexpress.com. All in they were around $40 US. Be forewarned, they take FOREVER to get here from China but they do eventually show up.
US $13.49 20% OFF|Motorcycle 1 1/8 and US $12.11 22% OFF|Universal RIZOMA 6061 Aluminum Alloy Sand Blasting Technology Finished Fat Bar Motorcycle Handlebar 72CM 1 1/8'' 28mm guidon de|Handlebar| - AliExpress.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just curious, did you check partzilla for the OEM bars? If you want a different bar, no problem...but if you are just looking for OEM bars, I replaced my OEM with an OEM from Partzilla and it was about 70$ with shipping.

·
Registered
4 Posts
On the subject of handlebars, did anyone ride with one of these?

I like the look of them, but are they comfortable? Do they put a lot of strain on the wrists? How do they change the riding position?

The previous owner of the bike has put a wider bar and I'm having problems filtering through traffic (it's legal here).

@Edit: Now I see that they're similar to the discontinued Suburban Machinery Type2. Anyone has them installed and could post dimensions here? How comfy are they compared to stock?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi Marhan. I have Suburban Machinery Type 2s on my 2008 650 Naked in the stock risers with bar end mirrors. The bars were bought originally for my '01 Yamaha FZ1. I used them on that bike, which I traded 2 years ago, from 2003 to 2010 when I switched to second gen FZ1 bars on that bike.

The bars sat in a box for a long time and when I got my '08 SV 650N last October, I decided to try them on it. My last SV was an '07 1000 that I put an LSL bar riser kit on with the OEM bars from my '01 FZ1 on. Hated those bars on the FZ1, but loved them on the SV1000, go figure.

Anyway, I love them on the '08 650, feels about the same as my SV1k with the higher set-up. So, lower than stock on the SV650 Naked, a bit narrower, and leaned forward a couple of inches. I am still mostly upright, just a moderate lean forward, like a sport tourer. To me, still comfortable. YMMV. I don't have dimensions for you, sorry, but I just eyeballed it and went for it. I'll try to take some measurements but don't know if it'll help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That would be a HUGE help, thank you! Just the basic dimensions like the ones that I posted would help me get the closest match.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Marhan, I tried to measure as best I could with the bars on the bike. After converting from inches to mm, the SM Type 2 bars fall in between the middle and bottom bars in your illustration.

If I'm seeing them right, those bars have a "rise" to them from the clamp area. SM Type 2s are totally flat, 0 rise. I googled SM Type 2 bars, and even though the site is still active, it says these are discontinued. However, there are some pictures of them on a naked SV so you can get a look at them.

I'm glad I held on to mine all this time, but I would try one of those others if I hadn't. They look good on that V-Max.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts