Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7,334 Posts
Put a dab of valve lapping compound on your best screwdriver bit and see if that gives you enough bite to turn it.

A good trick to use on hex and torx socket head bolts too.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Tried lapping compound with different bits. No good. I think this is beyond lapping compound at this point. I am gonna try reverse drill bits or just drilling out the head.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Got the screw out with one of those double-ended screw extractors. Yay! However...it wasn't the handle bar switch. There must be a short or something from the switch to the relay. I can do a continuity test from the bar switch to the relay, but is there any other in between I should test for first?

·
Premium Member
'18 SV650
43 Posts
From all you've written, I don't think the problem is in the handlebar switch or its wiring. I think it's in the relay or in the cable connections to/from the relay, or the ground strap, which I've mentioned before.

It's easy enough to test this hypothesis: Jump 12 volts to the switch terminals on the relay. If (and only if) the starter works perfectly, then the trouble is in the handlebar switch or its wiring as you suspect. If not, then it is as I suspect.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Jump the relay terminals like with a screwdriver? I did that. The starter motor moved and sounded normal. Didn't hold it on due to fear of damaging something.

·
Premium Member
'18 SV650
43 Posts
No, not the big cables. That is just to test that the starter motor turns. I knew that you had already done that test.

I mean to apply12 volt power to the smaller terminals on the relay to energize the coil and see if the relay works.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
That is true. I haven't completely ruled out the relay. This will have to wait until next weekend. I need more leads for my multimeter to test the relay, and hardware stores just don't carry that much anymore. Had to go with amazon.

·
Registered
7,334 Posts
You could just take your meter and make sure there's 12v on the orange? Wire going into the ignition switch and then put a paper clip in place of the switch and see if the starter turns.

·
MOTORADOR
10,841 Posts
Sidestand switch/connector?

21 - 32 of 32 Posts