Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
did you get the "clutch cam" back in correctly? I have almost put it in upside down before not paying attention, could be easy to do.

·
Registered
968 Posts
why did you take it off anyway? doesn't really need to be removed for a chain replacement.

so you have no pressure at the working lever when you pull it in, or is your clutch slipping? if there is no tension, then somehow you managed to back out the worm gear or re-installed something improperly so the worm gear doesnt contact the push rod.

if you removed the cable from its bracket, also make sure that you put it back on the bracket properly (the bracket should be between the adjustment nuts) and have it adjusted right.

if its too loose, you will just be pulling cable and will get no action at the pushrod. too tight, and your clutch will slip.

working the lever while watching the assembly should key you in on what is actually wrong.

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
why did you take it off anyway? doesn't really need to be removed for a chain replacement.

so you have no pressure at the working lever when you pull it in, or is your clutch slipping? if there is no tension, then somehow you managed to back out the worm gear or re-installed something improperly so the worm gear doesnt contact the push rod.

if you removed the cable from its bracket, also make sure that you put it back on the bracket properly (the bracket should be between the adjustment nuts) and have it adjusted right.

if its too loose, you will just be pulling cable and will get no action at the pushrod. too tight, and your clutch will slip.

working the lever while watching the assembly should key you in on what is actually wrong.
It needs to come off to clear the countershaft sprocket.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Worm Gear! I knew there was a name for it, but I couldn't remember it. Yeah, i'm pretty sure its in the way of the socket getting on the nut, but it may just be a nuisance, don't remember right now.

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
just popping the rivets on the old one and pulling it off sounds much easier to me than this rigamarole. putting the new one on is just the reverse operation.

...or am i missing something?
The way I read it was he needed to get to the front sprocket meaning he was doing a chain and sprocket kit... For just a chain, you are correct.

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
Perform the clutch adjustment as described in the manual/clutch mantra so you're sure it's installed/adjusted properly.

·
Registered
968 Posts
The way I read it was he needed to get to the front sprocket meaning he was doing a chain and sprocket kit... For just a chain, you are correct.
oops. silly me, i guess i glossed over that part :ears:

correct. chain and sprocket. has 21k miles on it, so figured might as well spend a little more.

anyways, i have tension on the clutch the entire time i engage/disengage the lever. seems like it doesn't actually disengage/engage the clutch when i pull the lever though.
have you gotten on it to see if it is actually working properly? the gear/rod don't actually move a whole lot when you engage/disengage the lever. you might have everything right (which you really might), but unfamiliar with how it works, and just psyching yourself out?

edit: you just fixed it

1 - 15 of 15 Posts