Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my used 04 sv last fall . There is a bend in the front wheel rim (L side) of about 2.5 " The rim is not scraped, so I'm guessing it was an impact.

She holds air - rode pretty long and hard this fall (6-8 hrs) - warm tire cool nights. This winter cold tire cold air (2 hrs). The most air loss seen is a couple lbs. after the bike sat for several days to a week. That 2 lb losss wasn't even consistant. (Not observed to be much different air loss than from the rear wheel which is perfect.)

What are the risks of keeping this wheel??? Should I replace?

thanks, bernie

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
there was recently a thread about riding with a bent wheel. i think general concensus was that if it holds air and runs straight, keep it. if you're the least bit uncomfortable with it, get it fixed or buy a new one.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks stranger....I think i'm going to keep the wheel. No shim or funky motion when riding no hands decelerating and she seems to hold the air. I'll just keep an eye on it and keep the fingers crossed.

·
Registered
166 Posts
i have a friend that has a 05 GSXR 1000 and he bent both his rims when he hit a pothole while leaned way over. the back was way worse than the front. it looked terible, like there was no way it should be holding air but it was and he rode on it alot more, but when he finally needed tires, there was nowhere that would put new tires on those rims and the shop said they couldn't fix the rims after they had told him they could, so now its just sittin at the shop till he can get new rims.

so, if it holds air ride it but start looking for a new one

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all,

I might be inclined to try to bang out the bend, it's fairly minor. The area of concern is a 2" area where the lip of the rim is pulled back from the tire bead - but it's only pulled back 1/8" or so.

You raise a good point terciated about someone not willing to mount a new tire on that rim. I think my salvation may be that I have a rapport with the dealer who sold me the bike, and they sold it that way - and inspected it.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sixchinskinny wrote "the tire holds air pressure; only adjustments I need to make are temperature or purpose related..."

a little info please... change tire pressure for temperature and purpose ? how to's

1 - 16 of 16 Posts