Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok newb first post, bought my SV650S last week. Stupid question maybe but I saw that the chain has some rust and was wondering if I just had to get it lubed or need to replace the whole thing. I think I have to replace because they are too rusty?

It has only 1800 miles on it and it's an 05.

Thanks!

·
Registered
750 Posts
Have you cleaned it, lubed it? Does it bind at all? If it moves freely and doesn't bind it might be alright. I would personally replace it if you have the $$.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Check it for tight spots, as mentioned above, and then check stretch.

Put the bike in gear and roll forward to put tension on the chain. Count 21 pins and measure along them. Roll the bike forward and check another section. If the distance along 21 pins is over 12 1/2" (wear limit is 12.57") then it's time to replace.

If it's not worn out and doesn't have any binding spots, then clean it with kerosene (or lamp oil, same thing but less smelly) and an old tooth brush. You won't get all the rust off, but don't worry about that. Once it's reasonably clean wipe it down and spray it with chain wax. Maxima is a good brand, there are others.

The chain is permanently greased, the grease is held in the rollers and pins with O-rings. Chain wax is adequate to lubricate the side plates and the outsides of the rollers.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Ditto what the others have said. Additionally, it doesn't look like the chain is centered on the sprocket. It looks like it might actually be rubbing on the inside of the left side links.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice guys!

...it doesn't look like the chain is centered on the sprocket. It looks like it might actually be rubbing on the inside of the left side links.
On which one of the pictures do you see that, on the first picture it looks like the placing is normal? Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
you can look at the wear spots on the chain itself (rollers? bearings? not sure what to call them...?) i am looking at the third picture. the side closest to the viewer is smooth and looks worn, while the far side has some surface rust and has not been around the teeth of the sprocket.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you can look at the wear spots on the chain itself (rollers? bearings? not sure what to call them...?) i am looking at the third picture. the side closest to the viewer is smooth and looks worn, while the far side has some surface rust and has not been around the teeth of the sprocket.
I see what you mean, how do I fix that? (well I'm not knowledgeable enough, have to probably bring it to the dealer I think..)

only 1800miles and its like that, i dont think its normal?
Yeah but it's a 4 year old bike, I don't know what exactly happened maybe outside in the rain or something?

·
Registered
975 Posts
With so few miles I would try cleaning and lubing it. As neglected as that chain looks, I wouldn't be suprised if there was some corrosion on the inside of the rollers as well. You may have to repeat the clean/lube often at first to flush it out.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
On which one of the pictures do you see that, on the first picture it looks like the placing is normal? Thanks for the advice.
The 1st and 3rd pictures

It could simply be that the chain isn't running straight. That is corrected by adjusting the two bolts that stick out of the back of the swingarm. Be careful messing with those since they also adjust how tight/loose your chain is. The alignment marks on the swingarm are known to be off from one side to the next. The easiest method is to simply get a piece of string and measure from the axle to the swingarm pivot. Both side should be the same (or really close).

·
Registered
381 Posts
Just pull the chain away from the sprocket(in neutral of course) if you can see through the sprocket teeth-its worn out

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
if the chain and sprockets are stock/OEM i'd just lube it, ride it, clean it :: repeat until it actually behaves badly. personally, i think we might be over-analyzing when we get to reading dust tracks ;)

a.s.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would say clean the chain and. I use a grunge brush and simple green. The simple grean is a great grease cutter (smells good too) It wont damage the "o" rings. And use a good quality chain wax. Its alot cleaner, and wont gumm up as bad. Grunge brush will probably run you about 15 bucks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts