Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a crack or gouge in every fairing on my bike. Has anyone here used ABS cement to "plastic weld" the crack together? Is there anything special I need to know, or is it as easy as it seems?

Scott

N

·
0 Posts
I've used the two part "plastic welder" epoxy with great results. I highly recommend it, particularly as an alternative to buying new bodywork!

:)

·
Registered
105 Posts
or if you really wanna try something else....you can get an actual plastic welder. It looks like a soldering iron but it comes with plastic rods that feed thru the tip. You can adjust the heat settings and you are able to 'weld' the pieces back together!

K

·
0 Posts
Lol the welding rod 'gun' is for doing welded seams on commercial sheet vinyl flooring for sanitary-restrictive areas, like hospital rooms.....

If its a crack all the way through, you can re-enforce it by using epoxy and some glass cloth on the inside(you can find the good epoxy and cloth at hobby shops that sell RC planes), then fill it on the outside with body putty, so it's easy to sand and paint.

D

·
0 Posts
kevinb120 said:
Lol the welding rod 'gun' is for doing welded seams on commercial sheet vinyl flooring for sanitary-restrictive areas, like hospital rooms.....

If its a crack all the way through, you can re-enforce it by using epoxy and some glass cloth on the inside(you can find the good epoxy and cloth at hobby shops that sell RC planes), then fill it on the outside with body putty, so it's easy to sand and paint.
I'd try the plastic weld first, fiberglass,bondo "body putty" all that does not stick to plastic for much longer than it takes to dry, don't waist your time, the only way you get that to stick would be to drill little holes through the body work for the putty or resin to spill through to grab the plastic, PAIN IN THE ASS, stick with something made for plastic to save you some frusteration. ;)

·
Registered
105 Posts
the 'gun' is not just for the commercial stuff. We have one at work and it works great for repairing cracked or broken plastic interior pieces inside a car. They prolly have the commercial guns but also make them for smaller items

K

·
0 Posts
Dizzle said:
I'd try the plastic weld first, fiberglass,bondo "body putty" all that does not stick to plastic for much longer than it takes to dry, don't waist your time, the only way you get that to stick would be to drill little holes through the body work for the putty or resin to spill through to grab the plastic, PAIN IN THE ASS, stick with something made for plastic to save you some frusteration. ;)
The epoxy and glass can be used to build things like carbon fiber R/C aircraft that withold over 50G's.  My last one was a 110" wingspan 45% scale cf/glass aircraft with a 210cc motor.  It worked pretty darn good.  Plastic weld would not hold up for one snap roll, you cant even repair an engine cowl with it.  Expoxy/glass cloth would surely fix a crack in the cheapo plastic used in fairings, it would become the strongest part of the fairing.   You can get body putties with flexible properties from body shop supply houses, not autozone.  The glass cloth could only be used to repair the crack on the inside.  You can not paint over any repair material other then a body filler(yes its used on RC aircraft too, and full-scale composite aircraft)

·
Registered
153 Posts
On my old ex500 the tip of the upper fairing broke off. Took it to a local shop that welds abs plastic. Strong weld and pretty cheap. I would highly recommend this if you can find a shop near you that does it. http://www.sac-cycle.com/frames.htm

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
I've had great success with fiberglass cloth and resin used to patch the damage on the back side. Drill a small hole at each corner of the crack so it won't spread, mask the front side of the piece (so the resin doesn't seep through), sand the back with coarse paper (for the resin to bight into) and apply 2 layers of cloth with some resin.

K

·
0 Posts
donniej said:
I've had great success with fiberglass cloth and resin used to patch the damage on the back side.  Drill a small hole at each corner of the crack so it won't spread, mask the front side of the piece (so the resin doesn't seep through), sand the back with coarse paper (for the resin to bight into) and apply 2 layers of cloth with some resin.
ayup! :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the replies, guys.

i ended up picking up a can of ABS cement at Lowe's for like $5. If that doesn't work, I'll try the fiberglass method.

A

·
0 Posts
The Urethane Company sells a fantastic two part ABS glue kit that actually creates new polymer bonds with your bodywork. I have used it numerous times, it's better than just about anything except the welding rods.

Ari

1 - 12 of 12 Posts