Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As evidenced by another thread of mine, I've had a bit of trouble with my hands going numb. As a result I have started using a cramp buster, and it has helped, but I'm still looking at other solutions.

That's just background though. My question involves Renthal Kevlar (or any other) street grips. I see that they make a larger than usual 32mm OD grip that supposedly offers outstanding durability. This is a great thing (if true), because I'm fairly unimpressed with my current ProGrips. At first I liked them, but durability has become an issue. I'm not sure how much of a difference (if any) 3mm makes over their standard OD, but I'll take anything I can get being that my hands are as large as they are.

So, avoiding the numb hand issue, anyone have any input or opinion on these grips?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
The vast majority of numbness in your hands is caused by simply gripping the bars too tightly.

The next biggest cause is having your levers and other controls in non-ergonomic locations.

Have you eliminated both of these possibilities before looking for add-ons or accessories to "cure" the "problem"?

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
I used a pair of Renthal Kevlar last year

My review:

Only available in an uuugly **** yellow color...uggghhh

VERY soft tactile feel, and not only stay that way, but seem to get softer as they wear and expose more kevlar fibers.

NOT thick...very thin grips that offer little real dampening of any road vibrations.

And really, they lasted no longer than any Progrips...regardless of what Renthal advertises.

I ended up going back to an old favorite when I found out they were still made. Oury street grips.
Nice thicker block pattern with VERY soft gummy rubber. Much better.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oury-Road-S...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ec1e5456e&vxp=mtr

Don't worry about the grip end being closed. It cuts right off and the length is perfect.

As an added bonus, the part you cut off fits perfectly into the right side swingarm pivot. Free frame dress cap!

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha I love you guys... I say that I want to sidestep the numbness issue, and it's the first thing that's brought up! :D

Do you think your numbness issue is caused by vibration or by pressure?
Neither. At least not that I can tell. Someone brought up some nerves that could be getting compressed near the palm, but the pads under my fingers are the only part of my hand that even touches the grips. Well aside from the fingers themselves of course. I also can't identify any untoward vibes that could be the problem.

I've spent a lot of time playing with the ergonomics of my bike. Between the highly adjustable rearsets and controls I've come to a (not the) conclusion that my body, with all of it's medical fixes and whatnot, just has problems that I can try to help, but cannot fix.

That's more-or-less why I'm skirting that issue.

Dan, thank you for the review on the grips. Did you have the regular size or the newer thick design? The color doesn't bother me, although I agree that it is rather unattractive.

I'm not sure I like the look of the ones you posted more, but I'm after function not form.

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
Dan, thank you for the review on the grips. Did you have the regular size or the newer thick design? The color doesn't bother me, although I agree that it is rather unattractive.

I'm not sure I like the look of the ones you posted more, but I'm after function not form.
No...honestly I wasn't aware a thicker version was now available.

http://www.renthalroad.com/File/product_grips.aspx

hmmm...that may be worth checking out. I wasn't pleased with the phucking pizz yellow color, but was willing because of the supposed softness.

My real criticism was they had no real give to them...the 32mm may.

Oh an the Oury grips? You're right, it is about function. They function very well and have great shock absorbtion.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was thinking about why they don't offer them in other, more attractive colors. Must be because that is the color of kevlar.

Well they are both inexpensive. Maybe I can try to pick up a set of both a little down the road.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts