Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finally getting to installing my Remus Grand Prix carbon fiber can, standard mount. I'm worried about screwing it up.

For any of you who have the Remus exhaust can, particularly the regular mount on their first gen SV, I have a question. The instructions say the "Schnittline" (cut line) on the old midpipe should be 40mm behind the crossover weld -- that's 1.57 inches. That looks way too short to me. Alligning the replacement midpipe and can, and approximating where the bracket goes on the passenger peg, it doesn't even look like the replacment midpipe will reach the stub of the old midpipe if I cut there. Even 2.00 inches looks too short.

Where did you cut, and how did it work out for you?

Am I pushing the midpipe too far into the intake end of the can? Maybe it's not supposed to go in all the way? (I'ts held in by two springs.) I just don't know. Can you help clear this up for me?

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
33 views; no posts. Hmmmm....

Well, it's Sunday. Everybody's prolly out, riding. At least, I hope so.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Craig did you get what you needed?

I was hoping to hear from maxmoto, but no luck so far. From the very few responses I've received, I think I'll cut it at 2.00 inches from the weld, maybe a smidge more; not 1.57 inches.

Was working on my front end today. I'll get back to the exhaust tomorrow or Thursday.

Thanks.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had a Remus titanium(which should be the same as yours) on my 1st gen SV.Unfortunately it was destroyed in the crash

It was installed by previous owner and friend of mine.
The midpipe is still intact.Do you want it?

I have a midpipe, so I'm set (unless I totally screw up). Thanks, though.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I was hoping to hear from maxmoto, but no luck so far. From the very few responses I've received, I think I'll cut it at 2.00 inches from the weld, maybe a smidge more; not 1.57 inches.

Was working on my front end today. I'll get back to the exhaust tomorrow or Thursday.

Thanks.
2 inches sounds like a good idea. As always if you have too much on the header you can always cut more. the indent from the midpipe should be about a cm or 2 from the edge of the can.

As seen here:

Hope it helps.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Okay, so I've started the install. I'm sure I cut the midpipe correctly. Finally.

But now I'm not sure how to hang the can. The Remus standard mount for the SV uses a "hidden" hanger that bolts to the back of the canister, then kind of angles over the canister and ends in a tab, from which the can is supposed to hang from the passenger peg.

If I put the hanger backet on the outside of the passenger peg, it fits without any tension, but the can itself is rotated downward. It's an oval canister, and if you can imagine the oval being tilted out 10 degrees at the top, and in 10 degrees at the bottom, looking from the back of the bike, that's it. It just looks wrong.

If I attach the hanger behind the passenger peg, it needs a bit of force to get it to go. I'm concerned about keeping tension on it like that. Also, the bottom of the passenger peg just barely mises the top of the canister. I can imagine it crashing into the canister if I hit a big enough bump, or loosening up and starting to rub.

Finally, with either mounting point, the canister is not parallel to the bike. It is angled out at the back. This also looks wrong to me.

To me, it looks like I need to go to a muffler shop and have them angle the midpipe closer to the bike, and maybe fidle with the hanger bracket as well.

Did anyone else have these problems? How did you solve them?

Is the bracket supposed to go on the inside or the outside of the passenger peg?

If inside, is the fact that it's such a tight fit a problem?

Is it normal for the canister to be angled out from the bike by a few inches?

Thanks.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I'll try to get a more detailed photo up for you tomorrow of what my can looks like, but I can tell you from my experience on the 2nd gen I ran in to none of these problems. I mounted the bracket on the inside of the passenger peg mount with no problems. I didn't notice any of the tension you speak of. I cut the original exhaust at the point indicated in the instructions and everything worked fine for me. Like I said in my PM to you, the only modification I had to do was to shorten the midpipe by an inch.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Craig show us a pic of what you mean. My oval can is also tilted a bit, but that is because i still have a fender. I will try to take some pics to show you the tilt. Also somewhere on this forum there is a link to a video of a std mount on a gen 1 that might help you with the mounting point.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Okay, so I've started the install. I'm sure I cut the midpipe correctly. Finally.

Is the bracket supposed to go on the inside or the outside of the passenger peg?

If inside, is the fact that it's such a tight fit a problem?

Is it normal for the canister to be angled out from the bike by a few inches?

Thanks.
Mine's hung on the inside of the hanger. Looks as though it was OEM. No angle. Next time I go outside, I'll take and post a pic.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b122/ixlr82/remus001.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b122/ixlr82/remus002.jpg

·
Registered
301 Posts
yeah, that mount is way different on the 1st gen compared to the 2nd gen. Same style bracket, different location. I don't think I can be of much help here.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Shoulda waited & bought the Delk, Craig. ;) :nana:

j/k

Can't wait to see this in person, bud. Hope you got it sorted out.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Shoulda waited & bought the Delk, Craig. ;) :nana:

j/k

Can't wait to see this in person, bud. Hope you got it sorted out.
As much as I like the delkevic, I still prefer my carbon fiber Remus for $217. But if i had to pay regular price Delkevic all the way.

I had a hell of a time installing my Remus also, but i love the outcome.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts