Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there guys, how yall doing ?

Today I went for my routine chain cleaning and notice some thread? behind the the sprocket. (gen3)
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Bicycle part Automotive wheel system

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle

It's a pretty small place for my hand so my plan is to remove the sprocket to properly get rid of the thread.

Thing is, it's my first time doing this, and probably the bike's as well since it has about 5k miles on it, I'm pretty sure this is the original sprocket.

I tried applying some pressure on the nut, but if feels tight (enough to move the bike) on both sides, I just want to check out the right side I should apply pressure to loose.
Tried to look in the service manual, but the one I have available tells to go over a Suzuki dealer.

Thanks in advance!

Btw if someone has the full service manual for the 3rd gen, hit me up!

·
Registered
488 Posts
I believe your turn that bolt counter clockwise. It will be tight, orientate the wrench to where when you apply force its downward so as not to move the bike much.

·
Registered
500 Posts
According to the shop manual, the engine sprocket nut is a conventional counterclockwise turn to unscrew, tightened to 145 Nm torque.
Procedure to remove the sprocket is:
1. Remove the engine sprocket cover.
2. Flatten the lock washer.
3. Remove the engine sprocket nut while depressing the rear brake pedal.
4. Remove the lock washer.
5. Loosen the rear axle nut.
6. Support the motorcycle with a jack.
7. Loosen the left and right chain adjuster bolts to provide additional chain slack.
8. Remove the washer and engine sprocket.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
I don't fool with breaker bars and such on those. Hold the rear brake and bang it off of there with a big impact. And on with the day..:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
According to the shop manual, the engine sprocket nut is a conventional counterclockwise turn to unscrew, tightened to 145 Nm torque.
Procedure to remove the sprocket is:
1. Remove the engine sprocket cover.
2. Flatten the lock washer.
3. Remove the engine sprocket nut while depressing the rear brake pedal.
4. Remove the lock washer.
5. Loosen the rear axle nut.
6. Support the motorcycle with a jack.
7. Loosen the left and right chain adjuster bolts to provide additional chain slack.
8. Remove the washer and engine sprocket.
145 Nm is quite the torque, I'm used to my lil honda where I don't remember to have anything over 80. Thank you for the specifics, I will make sure to do it right.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
145 Nm is quite the torque, I'm used to my lil honda where I don't remember to have anything over 80. Thank you for the specifics, I will make sure to do it right.
Anywhere in the neighborhood is good. Those things hammer themselves on there so tight, even with the locking tab. That's why it takes 3' breaker bars, impact wrenches, people standing on the brake pedal, 2x4s in the wheel, etc.., to break it loose.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Like Skywalker said, to loose the nut you have to screw counterwise like every normal bold/screw its a normal Right-hand thread.
Before that you need to unbend the securitything (dont know how its called) its just a washer what is bended with a Hammer after the nut is tightened.

I loose the Mother with a selfmade Motherf*cker. its just a 30x30mm squaretube with about 1m lenght. (Funfact the tip of the tool is wrong on the Photo, so you could not loose anything with it. I put the tool with the wrong end into the Square bar, but i think you see how easy you can "build" yourself a tool to loose the mother)

soooo anyway, to loose i sat my fat as on the Bike, put down the rear break and the frontbreak and with the left hand i pushed the Motherf*ucker (the squaretube) gently forward (in the direktion of the front tire because we remember its a right handed thread).

Break it easy no sweating no swearing but it feels strange, you can feel how tight the thing is.

Hope some photos helps, when you still have questions feel free to ask.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
would it be possible to remove the thread by propping the rear wheel off the ground and, with the bike in neutral, use needle nose pliers to unreel the thread while rotating the rear tire (in reverse) by hand?

also thought about using a torch (although in short controlled bursts with a damp cloth on-hand nearby!) ..

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
would it be possible to remove the thread by propping the rear wheel off the ground and, with the bike in neutral, use needle nose pliers to unreel the thread while rotating the rear tire (in reverse) by hand?

also thought about using a torch (although in short controlled bursts with a damp cloth on-hand nearby!) ..
Lol, wut?
And no for the torch idea.

·
very big dumb
9,104 Posts
needle nose pliers are not going to hold anything at all... not sure what you mean to do with them.
turning the back tire is not actually an awful idea since it will give you quite a bit of leverage.

·
Registered
21 Posts
when vines get wrapped in our wood-chipper flywheel, I use pliers to grip the loose end of the vine and spin the wheel backwards to unreel the tangle. I thought the same method could apply here

·
very big dumb
9,104 Posts
when vines get wrapped in our wood-chipper flywheel, I use pliers to grip the loose end of the vine and spin the wheel backwards to unreel the tangle. I thought the same method could apply here
oh duh. you were replying to the op's messy mess not the following discussion. i'm stupid heh

1 - 15 of 15 Posts