Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am deducing that the lower triple on my bike is bent.

Some history- I bought the bike 2 years ago from a front end wreck for 1800 - It road straight. (well so I thought).

Recently did the RICOR swap- upgraded to a gsxr rear shock, bikes running real smooth- but having done some front end changes I thought- I wonder if it still runs true...So now when I let off the bars on a straight flat road (ive tested a few times now) it tracks to the left... pretty bad too- I have to keep my right hand on the bar to keep the bike straight.... maybe -1-2 lb's of pressure...

During the fork update I checked them for straight- they both looked great...When I put things back together I had trouble getting the right hand fork flush on the axle- it was "out" by about half an inch and took a mallet and a friend pulling on it with a rope to straighten it out on the axle... We tried the inverse (axle first, then mounting the top triple- but found the right fork was not in the right position to go through the top triple (off by about 5mm)...

So lower triple is bent?

The question now is can I replace it easily? I have heard all kinds of awful stuff about bearings etc- but then I see stuff like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUZUKI-SV650-03-09-LOWER-TRIPLE-CLAMP-WITH-HARDWARE-/251085915148?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a75e3040c&vxp=mtr#ht_500wt_1413

And it looks easy.... is it?

Read somewhere things are "pressed" in - I don't want to change bearings- just replace the triple- can that just be unbolted and a new one (including its bearings etc) be bolted back up?

Sorry long winded! :) THANKS!

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Yes, you can get a triple that still have the lower bearing half installed and install it.

Support the front of the engine. Pull the wheel and forks then it's time to remove the triples. To remove you just remove the top "cover" nut and then lift the upper triple off. Then either using a dedicated steering stem nut tool or a punch and hammer, loosen up locking nut. Now you are ready to drop the steering stem and lower triple.

The steering tube is pressed into the lower triple. You can press it out and the bearing will drop out too. But if you get one like that eBay link, no need.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, you can get a triple that still have the lower bearing half installed and install it.

Support the front of the engine. Pull the wheel and forks then it's time to remove the triples. To remove you just remove the top "cover" nut and then lift the upper triple off. Then either using a dedicated steering stem nut tool or a punch and hammer, loosen up locking nut. Now you are ready to drop the steering stem and lower triple.

The steering tube is pressed into the lower triple. You can press it out and the bearing will drop out too. But if you get one like that eBay link, no need.
Brilliant Guess I will be doing this on the weekend, ordered the parts :)

Does that locking nut come off with the spanner wrench that comes with the SV's tool kit? :)

Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Brilliant Guess I will be doing this on the weekend, ordered the parts :)

Does that locking nut come off with the spanner wrench that comes with the SV's tool kit? :)

Just a thought.
Nope. That's for the shock. The ear doesn't fit.

Also I would recommend getting/downloading the SV workshop manual and peruse that for the steps. It's pretty easy and should take around a 2 hours taking your time.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
k Thanks! Yeah I keep meaning to get a workshop manual or haynes for this thing :)

I have had the "most" of the front end apart a couple times so I know my way around it, the general things not to do (like unbolting it all and letting it all fall out in your lap haha)

But I just wanted to make sure this was something I could do without a press.

Thanks guys!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts