Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i called the dealer and they suggested i remove the ignition to take it to a lock smith for my lost key.

now this is my last resort as i feel i shouldnt actually have to do this a real dealer would have the key codes available on hand.

just wondering what kinda **** i would encounter doing this, it may have already been covered already i didnt bother to search.

cheers james

edit: bike is a 2008 naked

·
Registered
457 Posts
My understanding (tho limited) is that keys for MC's aren't necessarily traceable to a vin (to have a key made) and that the only real connection is the key number from the tag to the key cut. That would mean he wouldnt be able to pull up your key code or the cut sequence for your key from the vin alone. again, my understanding.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I had this same problem about a year ago. I lost my key so I contacted several Suzuki dealers and all of them said they "don't do that any more." Not that they can't but that they just don't do it any more. One of the dealers started to say that it would be no problem but someone corrected him and told him to say that they don't anymore. All of them referred me to different lock smiths and they want around $70 to make a key from the ignition. I eventually found the key and I hope you do too.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
why not create a toggle switch activation and hide it somewhere, not as safe as a key because anyone can start it, but still..... you couldnt loose your keys anymore

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
hi i called the dealer and they suggested i remove the ignition to take it to a lock smith for my lost key.

now this is my last resort as i feel i shouldnt actually have to do this a real dealer would have the key codes available on hand.

just wondering what kinda **** i would encounter doing this, it may have already been covered already i didnt bother to search.

cheers james

edit: bike is a 2008 naked
You need to disconnect it from the block on the inside of the steering head - then remove top triple and remove with the proper sized safety Torx bit.

Taking the lock cylinder out saves you money as well - people that come to your place and make the key charge an arm and a leg. Key blanks can be had from Ron Ayers - get two, so you have a spare again.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I had the same problem with my KLR250, all keys got lost. I took the cylinder to a locksmith and he made two new keys for it for $65. Much cheaper than going the alternate route of getting a new cylinder and keys from Kawasaki.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts