Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the directions, its telling me to use a bit of compressed air to "float" the grip.  Is this necessary?  Or should I use the aerosol brake cleaner idea listed in the "how-to" section?

Can somebody give me an idea of how long this modification typicaly takes?

Will I have to adjust the clutch or brakes at all?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
slappermouth said:
In the directions, its telling me to use a bit of compressed air to "float" the grip. Is this necessary? Or should I use the aerosol brake cleaner idea listed in the "how-to" section?
When I switched my bars I slowly pushed a flat head screw driver under the grip, sprayed a bit of water in there, and then just twisted it off. It came off really easily.

Use grip glue when you are putting them back on. I tried hair spray because that's all some motoX friends of mine use, but it doesn't stick after a heavy rain or a wash.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,691 Posts
WD-40 is your friend and it won't ruin your painted body work. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can I use spray adhesive to get the grips back on?  I got some from Walmart to attatch my inspection sticker the other day.

How long did it take you guys to do this modification?

I spent the past three days installing a FE kit, removing it, then reinstalling the factory fender. In this Texas heat, I'm going to like to know how much longer I need to plan on being in the hot box called my garage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
slappermouth said:
Can I use spray adhesive to get the grips back on? I got some from Walmart to attatch my inspection sticker the other day.

How long did it take you guys to do this modification?

I spent the past three days installing a FE kit, removing it, then reinstalling the factory fender. In this Texas heat, I'm going to like to know how much longer I need to plan on being in the hot box called my garage.
The bars should take you less than an hour. Remove left grip, loosen bars, remove all the stuff that's on the bars, measure and drill the holes that hold your levers in place (unless they are already there), slide the junk back on to the new bars, tighten them almost all the way, adjust everything, put on your left grip, finish tightening them.


but why did installing your FE take three days???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Evan said:
but why did installing your FE take three days???
Actually it was both the FE kit and the holeshot slip on in the past three days. I had not even a drill at the time. Between running back and forth to the hardware store for al the stuff I needed, installing the FE kit, stipping a screw, realizing that the plate was not illuminated like I should've been, then removing the kit.....and the series of breaks I took to cool off in the oven like garage, all that took three days.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Am I really supposed to run both the throttle and the brake hose under the headlight bracket on a second Gen?

Can someone show me some pictures?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
slappermouth said:
Am I really supposed to run both the throttle and the brake hose under the headlight bracket on a second Gen?

Can someone show me some pictures?
These are drag bars, but you will probably end up routing things the same way.



 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top