Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I busted the head off the screw that holds the radiator to the right side mount on the motor. I tried drilling it out but just keep breaking bits. I tried one of those reverse tap things as well and that was useless. Luckily I have the lower fairings on my bike, so that is providing me with another mounting point for the radiator, but I still want to fix this correctly.

Any tips for removing this screw? I'll try to get a picture tonight.

thanks,
Jesse

·
Registered
115 Posts
The right drill bit will get it out. From my old machining days, I can tell you that some hardened bolts can be a pain to get out. Worst case scenario, a carbide drill will get it out.they're pretty expensive though. You need to run the drill bit at an appropriate speed with lubrication. Too fast the bit will burn up, too slow the bit will break. If that doesn't work, you could take it to a machine shop and those guys can drill it out for you.

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
When drilling something like that by hand, it is hard because you wobble around...which will break bits. If you start with the smallest bit you have, it'll cut without catching and breaking as easily. A dremel with rounded cutter can level the broken bolt surface (or even concave it a little) which will make getting the drill started close to the middle easier.

Get the smallest drill all the way through and then bump up a couple sizes and repeat. Keep the speed high on the following holes with light pressure to lessen the chance of catching and snapping. That goes against the normal drilling mantra of pressing hard and turning slow. Just go slowly so you don't burn up your bits.

If you can get the hole started right in the center you can just continue until you get to tap size and chase it with the appropriate tap. If you are a little off center on your first hole you can move it by drilling on an angle to get the next one closer. Happily it isn't a structural fastener so anything close to the same location will work fine.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got it. Used a small bit till it went all the way through, then slowly increased size of the bits.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What kind of drill bits did you use? I've got a similarly broken seat mount bolt.
Just a cheap multi-pack of bits. Mind you, I didn't actually REMOVE the screw... I just drilled through the fused mess of screw-plus-metal, then stuck a 4mm bolt and a nut through it. I'll probably get a nicer looking bolt (SS) in the future.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts