Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back, Sportrider magazine ran an article about racing the 03 sv. One of the mods they mentioned doing was "hogging out the stock air filter and desnorkeling it." Obviously, I know what desnorkeling is, but do you guys know what they were referring to by "hogging out" the filter? The only thing I can think of is removing the aluminum mesh screen thingy from the underside of the filter. Does anyone do this? Would their be any risks in doing it? It's not like the filter is going to get sucked into the throttle bodies right?

Seems like air would flow a little better without it. Whatchoo think?

·
Registered
97 Posts
wonderjosh said:
A while back, Sportrider magazine ran an article about racing the 03 sv. One of the mods they mentioned doing was "hogging out the stock air filter and desnorkeling it." Obviously, I know what desnorkeling is, but do you guys know what they were referring to by "hogging out" the filter? The only thing I can think of is removing the aluminum mesh screen thingy from the underside of the filter. Does anyone do this? Would their be any risks in doing it? It's not like the filter is going to get sucked into the throttle bodies right?

Thats a good question, but what I want to know is what they said about desnorkling it? Did they give positive feedback and did they mention anything about it changing the A/F ratio greatly?

·
Registered
336 Posts
they mite have just removed all the foam and everything. or possibly made the filter thinner. since on the track you dont need as much protection as street riding.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
wonderjosh said:

'Hogging' out the air filter is most likely removing the snorkel and opening up the top of the filter. The mesh IS there to keep the filter element from fraying and getting sucked through the engine. Over time, it would deteriorate and start to get sucked in.

My opinion.

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
orangegilly said:
The mesh IS there to keep the filter element from fraying and getting sucked through the engine.  Over time, it would deteriorate and start to get sucked in.

My opinion.
+1, i'm sure air flows fine thru the mesh

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
orangegilly said:
'Hogging' out the air filter is most likely removing the snorkel and opening up the top of the filter.  The mesh IS there to keep the filter element from fraying and getting sucked through the engine.  Over time, it would deteriorate and start to get sucked in.

My opinion.
+1 im pretty sure it means opening the top plastic to maxamize air flow.I cant see any advantage to removing the mesh.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
this still isn't going to help. the air still can't breathe cuz of tb. remove those secdonary throttle valves and bore that sucker out. +2hp +5tq according to some anonymous source.

G

·
thejimdaddy said:
+1, i'm sure air flows fine thru the mesh
Some time ago I measured the holes and spacing and figured out the % coverage. Then lost the notes :-[. I'll redo it it this weekend.

The idea was to determien the actual cross sectional area of the openings in the mesh. If it was significantly greater than the TB openings (and I would bet they are) there is no need to remove it. If was a tiny bit greater (frictional loss due to turbulence requires a little bigger opening), even or less, it would help  to replace it with something with more area, like a wire screen.

A funny thing about screen is that when placed in a path of moving air, it changes turbulent flow to laminar flow. I'm not sure if the shape of the air box and distances involved would make that true here, but it is true in an air channel like a tube.

Before ripping out your 2ndary valves...
Your primary is direct to throttle, and you're basically creating a set point for the controller (your throttle openeing = max). The ECM determines the 2ndary opening that keeps intake velocity rate high for current RPM, and 'catches up' to your set point. Unless you have a very fine hand, you'll get better throttle response by leaving it in there.
Ever whack open the throttle on non-CV carbed bike? I imagine it would be something like that. My FI experience is somewhat limited. :-[

EDIT: Found this...
http://www.media.suzuki.com/svlaunch/fuel.htm

·
Registered
97 Posts
lkm said:
this still isn't going to help. the air still can't breathe cuz of tb. remove those secdonary throttle valves and bore that sucker out. +2hp +5tq according to some anonymous source.
So you are saying intake mods are useless without touching the TB's? That is incorrect, thats like saying ported/bigger TB's are useless without headwork, and headwork is useless without more radical camshafts.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
GaRn said:
So you are saying intake mods are useless without touching the TB's? That is incorrect, thats like saying ported/bigger TB's are useless without headwork, and headwork is useless without more radical camshafts.
lkm may have exaggerated a bit.. but, there is only so much air that can pass through throttle bodies. desnorkling or putting different filters on can only do so much. if you want more air you have to go with bigger throttle bodies. stock sv engine doesnt really need more air though i dont think.

·
Registered
97 Posts
wonderjosh said:
lkm may have exaggerated a bit.. but, there is only so much air that can pass through throttle bodies. desnorkling or putting different filters on can only do so much. if you want more air you have to go with bigger throttle bodies. stock sv engine doesnt really need more air though i dont think.
Of course, but for the street on an SV, there really isn't any sense in going that far, so intake modification is a good idea because its frickin cheap hehe..

Oh yea, I have a Scorpion slip on and I am desnorkled now, no ill effects, no flat spots from lean conditions at any rpm(partial or full throttle) and it runs great.. better throttle response and it sounds frickin mean, no increase in power anywhere that I can tell..

no increase in coolant temps, I am going to pull the plugs as well to double check..

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
GaRn said:
So you are saying intake mods are useless without touching the TB's?  That is incorrect, thats like saying ported/bigger TB's are useless without headwork, and headwork is useless without more radical camshafts.
in another thread, twf and others pointed out in another thread that race filters most likely won't add any hp cuz they tb's won't flow that much air through. now, the headwork, and radical camshafts dunno bout them.

·
Registered
97 Posts
lkm said:
in another thread, twf and others pointed out in another thread that race filters most likely won't add any hp cuz they tb's won't flow that much air through. now, the headwork, and radical camshafts dunno bout them.
I mean if you look through some other threads, there are dyno charts of various intake setups..

I certainly hope the TB's flow more than the snorkle haha..

going to a pod setup would definitely add power everywhere.. I would love to see a dyno comparison of a stock sv tuned, then a pod filter setup tuned

G

·
AIR FILTER MESH

I remeasured the holes in the air filter mesh. Looks like about 49% of area is blocked by screen. Close enough to call it 50/50. See the graphic below.

I didn't measure the opening itself - forgot - do it tonight or something.
So with two throttle bodies and basically 1/2 of the area of the mesh we'll know if the mesh is a factor in limiting airflow.
There's a little more than jsut equal cross-sectiuon to deal with. The effective area of the mesh should be bigger thatn the TB cross section by some amount. I don' t know how to find out other than experimentation - some fluid dynamics genius on here might know.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
toddpnewton is a smart one. :p

he is ether dazzling me with knowledge or baffling me with BS... ;D

G

·
Drift said:
toddpnewton is a smart one. :p

he is ether dazzling me with knowledge or baffling me with BS... ;D
I know just enough to get myself in deep doodoo and not quite enough to get out. Follow me at your own peril.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
toddpnewton said:
I know just enough to get myself in deep doodoo and not quite enough to get out. Follow me at your own peril.
aaah help im drowning in doodoo :'(

·
Registered
570 Posts
Holy thread resurrection!

For what it's worth, the stock air filter aperture area is 190x165mm = 31,350 sq mm.

Accounting for the mesh obstruction = 31,350 / 2 = 15,675 sq mm.

The throttle bodies are 39mm diameter, which means total TB area = 2,389 sq mm

So even with the stock mesh in place, the total airflow area through the filter is 6.56 times larger than the total area of the throttle bodies - which means the mesh should make very little difference.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts