Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im trying to remove the old shock to replace with my ZX-14 shock (re-sprung w/ racetech 475lb spring), and i cant get any of the bolts to come loose. i've used an impact (electric, about 200 ft/lbs or so, harbor freight special) as well as a 18" breaker bar, that i slipped a 4 foot long 1" square tube over. I have a big air impact, but my air compressor died... need a new one...

these things are stuck on tight as hell, any ideas?

note: i didnt take the preload out, and the weight is off the rear wheel, should i load up the rear wheel and try and take out the preload? (i dont have the spanner wrench, and as far as i know its on the highest setting)

i've got em soaking in PB blast right now, hopefully i can get these things off.

·
Registered
96 Posts
pb, and a REAL impact will take it right off. If you use to long of a breaker bar you will probably snap the bolt.

find a real impact and call it good, 200 foot pounds really isnt that much...

·
Registered
20 Posts
pb, and a REAL impact will take it right off. If you use to long of a breaker bar you will probably snap the bolt.

find a real impact and call it good, 200 foot pounds really isnt that much...
200ft pounds is a decent amount i think you mean inch pounds.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea 200 ft/lbs is alot actually. had to put 90 ft/lbs on my head bolts of my mustang... holy crap (tho that was by hand with a 20" digital torque wrench).

i've got a 600-750 ft/lb air impact, but i dont have an air compressor, my 30 gallon died (thank god, thing was loud as hell). contemplating buying an ingersol-rand 5-hp 60 gallon... just heard bad things lately bout that specific model...

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Ride it to an auto repair place nearby, and slip the mechanic a $20 to hit the bolt with his impact gun. Then tighten it back enough to ride it home.

That's what I did with my engine mounting bolt in order to get my motosliders on -- after wasting an entire day trying everything else.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Uhh, I've removed the shock on 2nd gens using just a 3/8th ratchet, some extension, and basic sockets. No impact or air tools required. You must be doing something wrong.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
^^^^ Corrosion and/or galling could easily account for this problem.

What could the OP possible be doing wrong? Turning it the wrong way? It's a BOLT, fer pete's sake.

Just in case: Righty tighty / Lefty loosey.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
The upper shock mount bolt and the lower linkage bolt are held on with nuts on the other side. Are you supporting the nut on the other side with a ratchet or wrench? If you aren't and it is still not budging, that means that the bolt is stuck to the upper shock and mount and linkage (because it will spin if the other side is not held in place). If that's the case, try to go to the other side and take the nuts off. With the nuts off, you could try using a hammer and large punch to hammer out the bolts.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Rear stand
Remove rear wheel
Jack stands under frame or non-folding rear sets
Remove rear stand
Remove top shock nut (leave bolt in)
Remove dog bone nut (leave bolt in)
Support swingarm and remove dog bone bolt
Remove lower shock bolt
Remove Upper shock bolt

If there's any weight on the swignarm, shock, dog bones, linkage it basically won't budge without a lot of force.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have the bike supported with tie down straps from a ladder (hanging, no weight on the rear wheel), dont have a set of stands (yet). I also have a set of jack stands under flipped pegs as a "just in case".

i've let them set in PB blast all night, i'll try it again to see if i can get em to budge. and like i said, i was using a 1/2" sock breaker bar thats 18" long (craftsman) and the only one i could get to even spin without locking down the nut was the top shock nut. i had to do that by slipping a 1" square tube thats like 3 or 4 feet long for it to "break" free.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
finally managed to get thing out, i lowered the bike down to put a bit of weight on the suspension, loosened the top shock nut enough to where i could spin it with my fingers, and the same with the lower forward dog-bone bolt/nut, lifted bike again then removed dog-bone bolt. then removed lower shock bolt and top shock bolt and out it came. now to remove the battery tray cover.

thanks!

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
finally managed to get thing out, i lowered the bike down to put a bit of weight on the suspension, loosened the top shock nut enough to where i could spin it with my fingers, and the same with the lower forward dog-bone bolt/nut, lifted bike again then removed dog-bone bolt. then removed lower shock bolt and top shock bolt and out it came. now to remove the battery tray cover.

thanks!
Some guys here fashioned up a tool with a philip bit taped to a wrench which seemed to work great. I used my ratcheting screwdriver similar to this:

It was an inexpensive tool at probably about $10-$15, but I use it all the time. It's definitely a worthwhile investment if you do a lot of your own wrenching and tinkering. Though, the MacGyver method mentioned above is a great solution too!

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I used a thumb screwdriver for that. Worked very well and super cheap.

Hopefully you have small enough hands to turn it.

BTW, I used the same thumb screwdrivers to remove the TB which most people say are pretty hard to get to.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i just stuck the bit in there and used my fingers on the bit itself. those screws werent that tight...

everythings back in. i can tell already that the new 8.5 kg/mm (about 475 lb/in) spring is AMAZING. i'll have to set sag later after i find a spanner wrench. i used initial settings of 3 turns out on both comp and rebound. the stock ZX-14 spring is something like 75 lb/in heaver (543 IIRC?) i can already tell just from sitting on it, this shock and spring combo are worlds above the craptastic stocker.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I just used a phillips head tip and a small wrench and taped them together to get that screw out.

·
Registered
594 Posts
... i used initial settings of 3 turns out on both comp and rebound...
I'd be very interested to hear what settings you end up with.

I have a 510 lb./in. spring on a ZX-14 shock (I weigh about 200 lbs. with gear). I've got the compression at full soft (all the way out) and am finding it just OK for me, I wouldn't mind even softer for the rough roads and commuting/touring sort of riding I do around here.

The rebound on the shock seems to me to be weak, I've got it set at 1/2 turn out from full stiff.

So all in all, the ZX-14 shock seems to not have quite enough adjustability to make it perfect. Mind you, it is still 100 times better than the stock piece of junk. I still believe it's a worthwhile upgrade if you are not going to spring for a Penske.

Which will be the next part of the experimentation - I've got a newly sprung and valved Penske triple sitting here waiting to go in, just want to see what's the best the ZX-14 shock can do.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
so far so good. took it round the block after lubing up the chain (prev owner had a bunch of wax build-up, so i cleaned it and used some dupont teflon lube instead, much nicer)

i havent set up sag yet, still waiting to see if i can find someone who can actually help (wifes pretty bad at measuring...)

right now im running preload about 20.5 mm (13/16ths of an inch) above the top collar to top thread, with 3 turns out from fully in on rebound/comp. thats probably too much, considering the shock itself is normally for a 543 lb spring. As far as i know I'm the only person running a ZX-14 shock with a 475lb spring on a SV, or even a ZX-14 for that matter. but if your saying your running compression full soft and rebound almost full stiff i'll have to keep that in mind. how many miles are on your shock? do you think that your settings might be off due to a degraded/worn shock?

initial impression overall: right now it feels like turn in is increased. normal bumps are MUCH more comfortable, almost like riding on air. front end is smushy, but i felt that from day 1, even with my 150-155lb body (i sense a GSXR front in my future). much more responsive, no more pogo stick feeling, even just sitting on the bike is more comfortable. i feel 100x more comfortable in the turns. before i felt very... i dunno, uncomfortable, in the small turns around my block, at even just 35-45 mph, as if the rear wheel was gunna start pogo sticking on me. now it just feels planted no matter what I do.

in total, i spent 90$ for the spring and 25$ for the ZX-14 Shock. I also paid 15$ to have the spring swapped at local shop (dont have spring compressor). for 130$ i'd say its everything i was hoping for and more.

the only reason i went this route as opposed to a ZX-10 from an 06/07, was because i came across the sweet deal on a low milage ZX-14 shock. actually stated "zero milage", but i know its got some kinda milage on it just by looking at it, obviously not alot tho. either that or they had alot of people sit on the bike they were parting out. that and the supply for 06/07 ZX-10 shocks is pretty much zero. Didn't feel like waiting.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Solid buy in price for that setup. I have an 08 ZX10R w/ an 8.5 spring, it works but the valving's pretty far off for the SV. I've found my rear tire is cupping pretty bad at the sipes because I can't dial in enough rebound damping. Penske's in the works.

What's your high speed comp set to?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts