Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to install a remote start module on an 01 SV650S but I've run into a problem getting it to start the engine. I've tapped the ignition line , the starter relay, and positive and negative terminals and the module seems to work fine. It will turn the starter but it can't start the engine. It doesn't seem to be getting a spark. When use the key switch and turn the ignition to on, then start using the remote start the bike starts great.
From the wiring diagram for the bike, the ignition switch has three separate switches in the run position. I've got the first one taken care of, the main power. The two others are untouched which leads me to believe that most likely the second one is the problem since the third deals with lights.

Will using a relay to connect the orange/red from the ignitor to ground as the ignition switch normally does solve this problem?

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your suggestions.

I spliced the yellow/green starter relay line after the clutch lever switch so that shouldn't be a problem.

As for the side stand switch, I'm not entirely sure how that works. It looks like it grounds out the line when activated. I wouldn't think this would matter though since it would have the same functionality wether the ignition is keyed or remote. It should act normally too, since it's getting power from the ignition line just as it would when the key is used.

The only missing functionality I can find so far is that the orange/red wire coming from the ignitor to the ignition switch isn't connected to ground when the remote is used. The third switch, the gray and brown leads don't seem to matter except for lighting and the dash. All of the lights and gauges turn on like they do normally, it cranks, but it doesn't fire.

·
Registered
24 Posts
IIRC, I believe the ignition switch has a resistor built-in and wired to the ignition/spark circuit. you cant simply run 12volts to the circuit alone. I do not know the resistance value without checking. If you simulate the resistance, I'm sure you will get it to remotely start.

SportSV

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'm all about doing different stuff, but that does seem pointless. How are you going to choke the bike?? I would cry if I watched my bike start hopping away as I hit the start button from 15 ft away cause I forgot to take it out of gear. Not trying to knock you for doing it, just hope you thought it all the way through.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finally got it to work tonight.

We ended up figuring out that the switch in question has a 100 ohm resistance, so we added a relay with a 100 ohm resistor and it works perfectly.

Thanks for your help!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts