Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So leaving work today almost get creamed by a semi. I saw the semi wanting to turn left a little ways down the road. There was some space between me and the car in front, but really not enough space for a car to complete a turn let alone a semi.

I just prepare my self for the semi to try any ways, because they always do and don't seem to realize how much room they need for some reason. The car in front passes, semi makes no move to turn. I keep going. Then just as I think he is going to wait he turns. Not late enough to where I can just speed by, so I hit the breaks and make a swearve to avoid him. There was a moment where I thought he would make contact, but didn't. Probably because the driver decided to stop. I didn't really care about anything until I knew I was safe. Just decided to keep going.

More of a rant to just be done with it then anything. Ride safe out there.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Good job keeping a clear head. Sounds like you had an escape plan of sorts which is good. Always look for an out.

I always watch wheels of a car not the driver, the wheels on a car will show you intention way several seconds faster than the driver will, and that can make a big difference.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Today while riding to my girlfriend's house, I almost t boned a driver when she made a quick left turn thinking she could make it before i made it to her. She didn't even pause to look when she turned left! I locked my back brake (my back wheel slid out a foot~ to the left) and squeezed my front one (didn't lock) just enough to stop a couple feet from her. I honked AND revv'd and all she could do was throw up her hands. BLEH

EDIT: Oh, just today, my friend saw a SV1k flip over his handlebars when he tried to stop to avoid hitting a car cutting right in front of him. Stay safe guys

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Yikes, good job man.

Two days ago I was on a two lane (I hate riding in the country!) and a compact car coming the other direction turned left right across my lane for no apparent reason. There was nowhere for her to go, I guess she was going to do a 3 point turn-around. I counter-steered around her (into the oncoming lane) and just rode on.

After a few minutes it really started to bother me, but there wasn't much I could do and I let it go.

·
Registered
28 Posts
at least once a week i have to DODGE, DUCK, DIP, DIVE and....DODGE.

No but seriously, i have to constantly watch out for crazies. If my mond isnt clear before I ride, ill just take my truck

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
at least once a week i have to DODGE, DUCK, DIP, DIVE and....DODGE.

No but seriously, i have to constantly watch out for crazies. If my mond isnt clear before I ride, ill just take my truck
Is that some sort of dance?

And what's a mond?

:p

·
Registered
270 Posts
After a few minutes it really started to bother me, but there wasn't much I could do and I let it go.
That's a sign of a good, composed rider. I have been pissed off plenty of times at these morons who treat the road like their own private playground. It's incredibly difficult to let something like that go when you are in the right. But you have to do it.

Twins is referring to the movie Dodgeball.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Aye, laddie, these things happen.

But if they happen very often, you need to learn how to ride.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts