Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
King of D'bags
3,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even more important than prepping your fuel is what's in your radiator. If you're running Redline WaterWetter or the like, remember that it doesn't significantly lower the freezing point of water. IIRC, WaterWetter is biodegradable. So just drain it in the driveway and refill with propylene glycol antifreeze and distilled or deionized water. Tap water can cause corrosion and scaling.

·
Registered
744 Posts
For the lazier people here (myself included) I recommend buying the 50/50 premixed Honda stuff. It's not that expensive and it saves you the hassle of mixing it yourself.

·
Eagle one
1,660 Posts
This is more for the GTO.........

Becuase I run Water Wetter in that.  Garage might just hit 32 deg at times during the coldest parts of the winter.......

Last year I just drained the radiator and left it......... whats everyones opinion on leaving the system empty........ do you think I could get excess corrosion leaving it empty and open to air?

I hate having to put anti-freeze in it........ just for it to sit in the garage and then have to try and get all the crap out before driving it on the spring.......

·
King of D'bags
3,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Put in the biodegradable stuff when you drain the Redline. That way it's not so much of a hassle to drain in the spring. There's no way you'd get me to leave my cooling system empty. Too much chance for seals and gaskets to dry out plus the exposed metal surfaces. Not me.

·
Eagle one
1,660 Posts
arimichael said:
Put in the biodegradable stuff when you drain the Redline. That way it's not so much of a hassle to drain in the spring. There's no way you'd get me to leave my cooling system empty. Too much chance for seals and gaskets to dry out plus the exposed metal surfaces. Not me.
yeah......... i was think the same thing....... only did it last year.

I figure I dont even really need that much anti-freeze in there........ even a weak mixture should get me down to 0-10 deg. freezing point........ and it never even comes close to that in my garage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Summer or winter - always run with a decent amount of anti-freeze of the right type, as it's other purpose is that of a corrosion inhibitor. I've seen coolant passages on Al alloy engines eaten away from the inside when too Little / wrong anti-freeze is used. If you don't need the antifreeze part you can get the a corrosion inhibitor only.

I wouldn't drain it over winter either, for the reasons stated above.

Cheers Keith

·
Eagle one
1,660 Posts
Well Oiled Brit said:
Summer or winter - always run with a decent amount of anti-freeze of the right type, as it's other purpose is that of a corrosion inhibitor.
Water Wetter is a corrosion inhibitor........ but I also always add a small bottle of rust inhihibtor in addition...

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Newdriver said:
Antifreeze? It's 85 degrees here.....

-josh
you suck!!!! :mad:

j/k :-*

·
Registered
629 Posts
Newdriver said:

-josh
+1 but I think it only made it to 75 here today (FL) ;D

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Newdriver said:

-josh

I'm so sorry, that your missing out on FREE horespower

·
Registered
32 Posts
while the biodegradable stuff may be safe for your dogs or cats to drink, after it has been in a cooling system the antifreeze is not what the problem is. The metal contaminates from the radiator are not biodegradable. I had a customer where i work though the same thing. They would by the environmentally friendly stuff, use it for three years and then dump it down the drain. Before they dumped it they tested it. What they found was the lead contaminates was just as high or higher the with ethelyne glycol. Bottom line is, I don't think it was intended to dump down the drain when you are done with it. It is only suppose to be kinder to the enviroment in the case of a accidental spill.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts