Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did this awhile back, I posted this on other forums, but since I just joined SVrider, I think its appropriate for me to share this
------------------------------------------------
Just applied reflective rim stripes on my sv1000s, and helped my brother on his SV650s to have a make over.

This is mine, I purchased my reflective tape from ridesafer.com. They are $9.95 a roll (enough to do both wheels) , silver and made by 3M.

with vs. without

completed

----------------------------------------------
This is my brother's SV650s, we painted his wheels and applied yellow reflective tape.
Those are purchased from tapeswork, they cost more $19.95, but in my opinion their quality is better, plus they give you more than enough of tape.

here are few shots

before

some sanding prep work

painted, stripes applied, ready to put back on

done

compare to my 3M silver/white one, don't you think the yellow one is brighter?

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
thanks for posting that!! i have some rim striping at home that i have yet to put on. i had a black reflective stripe that i thought i lost. so i ordered silver rimstriping (reflective i think) and then of course, found the black.

so i have to decide what will look better. thinking the silver since my wheels are black

·
Registered
27 Posts
hey nice job, just finished mine today too.. also got a yellow sv with the black rim... i purchased the yellow reflective took about an hr but came out awsome

chad

·
Registered
246 Posts
Looks great.

The forks on that 1000 look sweet. What make/model/year bike did you get those from?

Post us a how-to once you strap all that nitrous to your SV!

G

·
You park in your living room? I suppose that's the only way to be near 100% safe. Nice rim tape... looking to get some on my rim later.

·
Registered
202 Posts
thats a great mod, particularly for safety / visibility @ night (side lighting on a motorcycle is difficult). i did it on my last streetbike and i will also do it on the one i am currently building. i found that install was made easier by having a friend steadyily and slowly rotate the wheel (w/ bike on workstand) while i guided the tape on from a constant angle.

FYI - removal is an absolute whore... so i recommend you are totaly sold on doing this mod prior to diving in.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the props guys.

yeah, that totally looks cool plus most importantly more visibile for others during night riding (not that I rode much during night time, but with daylight saving time, I get caught riding after dark from work).

yeah, i heard removal is a b*tch, but nothing goo-gone and heat gun can't take care of, beside I like them a lot.

about parking the bikes in the apartment, we did that over the christmas break, we live in an apartment in a college town, no one is here during the break, so its safer park inside instead of being outside "alone".

my SV1000s is a 03, forks are from 2002 gsxr750, calipers from 2002 gsxr1000, so does the front fender. Rotors are from 03 tl1000r, they are 320mm.

:)

·
Registered
430 Posts
I always had the intention of putting on some yellow on my bike. I know the flash makes the reflection come out but dang! that is bright. looks like a tron bike. I think I'd like it a lot better if it was non reflective. do they make it that way? I like the look better in the pic you took without the flash. Thanks for posting

·
Registered
597 Posts
punkjumper said:
I always had the intention of putting on some yellow on my bike.  I know the flash makes the reflection come out but dang!  that is bright.  looks like a tron bike.  I think I'd like it a lot better if it was non reflective. do they make it that way?  I like the look better in the pic you took without the flash.  Thanks for posting
Wait, wait...

It will look the same during the day anyway??? The only difference is at night when you wouldn't be able to see the non reflective stuff.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'm all for the night visibility factor, but they are a little too flashy and tacky. I might settle for them as a last resort though. How thick is the tape? is it really noticeable in the day time?

Anybody have any other ideas about night visibility options? I've been thinking about getting one of those runner's reflective vests over my leathers when i go out at night.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
becman said:
Anybody have any other ideas about night visibility options?  I've been thinking about getting one of those runner's reflective vests over my leathers when i go out at night.
you should start another thread on night-time safety.

but since you asked, yuo can look at the halo for the helmet. a band of reflective rubber that goes around the bottom of your helmet.

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
Aerostich Rider warehouse sells the halo, if that helps. Reflective neoprene.

Good job on the reflective rim tape from tapeworks. I had been thinkin about doin that before I painted my rims. now ya got me thinkin of doin it again!
Since my rims are dark, im thinkin of doin the black.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts