Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, have a quick question...but first need to give some background.

I have one of those LED's that show the power level of the battery. This morning as I drove to work I noticed that the LED was not going green...while riding. The last while at lower rpm's it would go green and stay there. Higher rpm's it would go to green then flash back and forth between green and red.

Drive home I noticed the LED just seem to stay in the red. Was driving and the bike started to buck a bit, backfire and sputter. Then pretty much died. Was going down a hill and tried to bump it and that did not work either.

When I stopped, trying to start all I got was a buzzing sound from near the back of the bike....that was it. Dash lights are all very dim. Now before I fixed the main fuse plug I had battery issues all the time. But has been great as of late.

So...the question....does this sound like a Regulator/Rectifier that is gone? Like to get a bit of an idea for where to start.

·
Registered
873 Posts
First easy check is across the battery with the engine idling with a cheap Digital Mulitimeter set on the 20v setting.

What readings do you get on idle and when revving the engine?

This is a decent page,

HTH :)

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I think at this point I will have to charge the battery, but not even sure if it will start....let alone keep running. Going down the hill on a bump start it wouldn't even try to run.

I will definitely check out that site.

Reactions: Straticus

·
Registered
28 Posts
your battery was really dead.your monitor should have alerted you to a problem.fully charge and check the charging system as stated above.the battery might be one foot in grave

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
your battery was really dead.your monitor should have alerted you to a problem.fully charge and check the charging system as stated above.the battery might be one foot in grave
This is what I don't understand. Has been working fine and no issues. It was like whatever happened it stopped charging the battery. I would think if the battery was that dead then it would not of been able to start to drive home.
I am going to look at the charging

1 - 5 of 5 Posts