Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone!

I want to first say thank you to everyone before me that provided so much information in swapping out a r/r. I registered to seek some wisdom from you fellow riders. Here's the scenario:

1. Bike was not holding a charge for more than an hour or two while riding.
2. Gauges would spaz and I'd sputter out and be dead in the water.
3. After doing many searches on these forums, consulting with many mechanics, all pointed to the R/R.
4. Ordered an aftermarket from Dennis Kirk for a 2001 SV650S, came with two plugs, five wires.
5. I fitted the new R/R cables in to the old plug so that it would match up with the cabling on the bike.
6. Before I was even able to latch the plug on to the bike, the plugs made contact and I saw a spark.
7. I confirmed that I crossed the wires while matching up the cables and replacing the plugs.
8. Bike shows no sign of life when I turn the key...

So I turn to everyone for help. I tested the battery and it gives me a normal reading. I checked all of the 10/15 fuses and all looked OK. I'm not sure if I blew the main fuse or how to even tell or where to look.

Any help would be MUCH APPRECIATED!

Thanks!

·
Registered
801 Posts
Oh man sorry, usually the community is more helpful. First you can see this link to see an appropriate RR upgrade for 1st gen sv650s
http://webpages.charter.net/jrandall/vrr/vrr_upgrade.htm

As you can see most of us upgrade to an RR from other bikes as the stock one tends to fail. Here is another thread that should help.
http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=91050

Lastly yes, check all the fuses under the seat and also check under the right frame cover. That is where you will find the starter relay and another fuse.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh man sorry, usually the community is more helpful. First you can see this link to see an appropriate RR upgrade for 1st gen sv650s
http://webpages.charter.net/jrandall/vrr/vrr_upgrade.htm

As you can see most of us upgrade to an RR from other bikes as the stock one tends to fail. Here is another thread that should help.
http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=91050

Lastly yes, check all the fuses under the seat and also check under the right frame cover. That is where you will find the starter relay and another fuse.
I swapped out the fuse and all seems to running fine.

Is it normal for the lights on the dash and head lights to dim slightly (not a whole lot) while start up and braking? I just want to make sure the R/R was the root cause and not the stator before I return it.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Good to hear that. It's not normal for the lights to dim. I have the same year and model as you do, my bike was doing the same thing. My issue was the RR, it might not be yours. It can be difficult to diagnose these issues. I would recommend you invest in a Haynes Manual (3912). I can help you check the entire electrical system if you have to. Having said that the RR is a known issue for most 1st gen SV owners. It's a good place to start.

Do you have a battery tender? Do you have to charge your battery often? If you do the RR is probably not doing a good job charging your battery. Get a multimeter and measure the voltage coming out from the RR. Remember its a 12v batt/system. How much is the RR voltage output? Most of us with an upgraded RR are getting 13.6-13.8v at idle which is more than enough.

I got mine on ebay fro 40 from an 04 CBR100rr, a version of the FH008.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good to hear that. It's not normal for the lights to dim. I have the same year and model as you do, my bike was doing the same thing. My issue was the RR, it might not be yours. It can be difficult to diagnose these issues. I would recommend you invest in a Haynes Manual (3912). I can help you check the entire electrical system if you have to. Having said that the RR is a known issue for most 1st gen SV owners. It's a good place to start.

Do you have a battery tender? Do you have to charge your battery often? If you do the RR is probably not doing a good job charging your battery. Get a multimeter and measure the voltage coming out from the RR. Remember its a 12v batt/system. How much is the RR voltage output? Most of us with an upgraded RR are getting 13.6-13.8v at idle which is more than enough.

I got mine on ebay fro 40 from an 04 CBR100rr, a version of the FH008.
Appreciate the response, I finished swapping out the R/R and I still get a very slight dim when braking. I'm going to check the multimeter readings tonight and post a video response so you guys can tel me if I'm doing something wrong :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Did you find the main fuse???? I was just checking my R/R last night and found that the wires were stripped bare (bare connectors)!!! Luckily it did not blow the fuse while I was riding...LUCKY me for once. After looking for the main fuse I (meaning my mechanic friend) was able to determine that it is located behind the right side, side panel in with your starter solenoid. pull the side panel off the right side and look for the greenish/clear cap that will flip up, flip it open and the main fuse for the whole bike is located on toward the back side of the bike, easily accessible with a pair of needle nose.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
744 Posts
Take you battery in to a car parts store and have them test it. Not infrequently a RR and battery will go at the same time, and a bad battery can kill a new RR pretty quickly.

Either way, I'd suggest going to a GSXR RR instead of another SV one, since the SV one WILL die on you at some point.

·
Registered
26 Posts
talked to the shop yesterday and they said Suzuki has updated the RR for the SV (sounds like they know there is a problem), they wanted 200 bucks for a OEM,so I went aftermarket for 125...going to find out how this works

1 - 8 of 8 Posts