Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having problems with my 2001 SV 650 Reg/Rec. I read on the other posts that it would be better to replace it with a R/R from a GSXR. What model year could I replace it with? To tell the truth, in another instance where I replaced the R/R I purchased online a used R/R from a GSXR, but the connections do not fit. The SV has only three prongs whereas the GSXR has 4. Could I rewire it somehow to work? I hope so otherwise I'll have to purchase yet another R/R. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
I used a 03' GSXR 1000 RR. Just cut the quick connector off the stock RR, leaving all the wire attached. Then cut the quick connector off the GSXR RR, leaving the wire connected to the RR. Simply solder together, and heat shrink. I've got the tail off my SV now, I'll add a pic in a bit.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Sorry for thread jacking, but what is the benefit of using a GSXR R/R over a regular SV one?

·
Banned
2,973 Posts
Sorry for thread jacking, but what is the benefit of using a GSXR R/R over a regular SV one?
They last longer and are heavier duty compaired to the stock SV unit.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I just got mine off ebay from an 07 GSX-R 600. The main difference other then the connector is that an 07 mounts in the front and the horn is also mounted to it. I hope the horn is better then mine and I am thinking of a way if the space is available to mount this one up front in the path of air flow as Suzuki must think it's better if they mounted it up front.

Just installed it today, bolted right to existing mount holes. I tried to add a computer fan to it, but I wasn't able to get the plastics back on (to wide). My charging went from 13.5 volts with stock R/R to 14.2 volts at idle with high beams on and heated grips on hi. I think I fixed my charging problem. $28 shipped from ebay.

·
Registered
297 Posts
The gsxr one I got one of the two connectors will plug and play( the three wire from the stator). But myself and others solder them so there is no chance of a loose connection and less resistance in the connection.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts