Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know you all rave about the "benefits" of steel brake lines and how they won't expand... but how much more $$$ are we talking about from the standard lines?? The svc manual is calling for mine to be replaced, and I can't find OEM lines online. My thinking is this - if OEM lines run 70/40 (front/rear) and steel run 90/50, then its probably worth it... if we're talking 40/20 for OEMs.... i'm not seeing the benefit if I'm going to replace them every 4 years... ??? Yinz all have the experience... can ya help me out?

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
linjy3 said:
i dont think u need to replace ss? they last the life of the bike and more?
Pretty much. If you're replacing the OEM lines anyways, just go SS, no ifs, ands, whats, or buts about it.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
It's not just a longevity/dollar ratio at issue here.

IMO, the performance, safety, and confidence benefits of steel lines over rubber are well worth the increase in cost come replacement time. Personally, the next bike I buy will be fitted with stainless lines as soon as is practically possible, regardless of the condition of the rubber lines...

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
I dont know why companies are skimping on brake lines. My 20 year old dirtbike has freaking stainless steel lines, from the factory!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Six Chin Skinny said:
It's not just a longevity/dollar ratio at issue here.
Exactly! If you need to replace rubber brake lines every 4 years... and I've already had the bike for 1 season, odds are pretty good I'm going to get a new (to me) bike before I need to put new lines on it.

How much of a "performance/safety" improvement will I see with SS lines?

·
Registered
60 Posts
jdt141 said:
I know you all rave about the "benefits" of steel brake lines and how they won't expand... but how much more $$$ are we talking about from the standard lines?? The svc manual is calling for mine to be replaced, and I can't find OEM lines online. My thinking is this - if OEM lines run 70/40 (front/rear) and steel run 90/50, then its probably worth it... if we're talking 40/20 for OEMs.... i'm not seeing the benefit if I'm going to replace them every 4 years... ??? Yinz all have the experience... can ya help me out?

http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/getdesc.cfm?man=su
That takes you to the Suzuki Microfiche. Not sure what year/model you have but front brake line (only the line, no banjos or crush washers) are roughly $65.00. A front galfer kit will set you back about $85, with all parts included.

Personally, I like the SS lines.

I just upgraded last week. My costs:
Front line kit - $85.99 (FYI it had the wrong double banjo bolt)
Rear line kit - $48.99
S/H $8.00
Fluid - $10.50
Bracket for right side (OEM Suzuki) - 3.16 +S/H

Roughly 2 hours of time.

Hope it helps. The brakes have a better feel to me but who knows it could be all in my head.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts