Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where to start.....

So, I just got my title from the guy who sold me the bike, one month later.

Title transfer fee: 75.00

Tax on the bike purchase: 266

Tag transfer: 42.00

around $383.00 total.

just for the privilege of riding on our great, straight as hell, Florida roads.

I know some States are more than this, but it's robbery in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Where to start.....

around $383.00 total.

So an extra $383 on top of your ~$4500+ purchase is robbery? Do you have any other excuse besides you don't like spending money? Would you like a breakdown of what that money goes to? Maybe next time you'll buy an older bike and you won't complain as much about the tax.

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
Wait till you start spending money on consumables like tires, brake pads, rotors, chain & sprockets, etc....
Gotta pay to play.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Yeah, it goes to shore up budget shortfalls. It's a 154% increase from 2009.

The tax isn't what bothers me. It's the increased fees.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not a noob rider. I know the expenses involved in consumables. Jesus. Sorry for the rant, delete the thread. Ban me. LOL

·
Registered
905 Posts
Sales tax? I wasn't aware anyone actually put the full purchase price of the vehicle on those forms when buying private party! Just list it at like $750 and say it wasn't running.

WI is nice towards bikes - it's $23 bianually for our registration. Plate fee is cheap as well. Hurray!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sales tax? I wasn't aware anyone actually put the full purchase price of the vehicle on those forms when buying private party! Just list it at like $750 and say it wasn't running.

WI is nice towards bikes - it's $23 bianually for our registration. Plate fee is cheap as well. Hurray!

I would but the previous owner was like a robot, and did everything by the book. I tried to hint at helping me out in that area, and he looked at me like I was crazy. He put the full price on it.

Now that you mention it, sales tax on a private sale? What's private about it?

·
Registered
905 Posts
private party meaning you aren't buying it from a dealer. If someone sells more than X amount of vehicles in a year, they have to register as a dealer and then report their sales.

The sale price is put in the title or something? Here, just need the date, odometer reading, and then sign it. They sometimes question automotive transactions if it's too far off from an expected resale price, but they don't seem to have a care to give about motorcycles.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
private party meaning you aren't buying it from a dealer. If someone sells more than X amount of vehicles in a year, they have to register as a dealer and then report their sales.

The sale price is put in the title or something? Here, just need the date, odometer reading, and then sign it. They sometimes question automotive transactions if it's too far off from an expected resale price, but they don't seem to have a care to give about motorcycles.

Yeah. It's one of the top lines in bold. When I sold my Vulcan I asked the guy what he wanted me to put, and the guy that sold it to me put an amount less than sales price. I still ended up paying over 200.00 dollars to get that $1200 machine legal. LOL

Pretty soon the air we breathe will be taxed.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I would but the previous owner was like a robot, and did everything by the book. I tried to hint at helping me out in that area, and he looked at me like I was crazy. He put the full price on it.

Now that you mention it, sales tax on a private sale? What's private about it?
I would seriously threaten to walk away if he didn't comply and just leave it blank for you to fill in.

Fees are another way of raising taxes without public input. In CO all increases in taxes have to be voted on and approved. To get around it, they just jack up the all the other fees. It's idiotic. Registration fees has tripled in last 5 years. The registration for my boat trailer that sees the pavement maybe 10 times a year has gone from 15 dollars to over 75 dollars.

·
Registered
274 Posts
+1 on sales tax on private sales being ridiculous.

If the goods have already been taxed after they were initially produced, resale sales tax is outrageous. At least it is to me.

Fair Tax all the way! I figure I've got a slim chance of seeing something like it adopted just about the time I stop having a solid income to be taxed ::)

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Where to start.....

around $383.00 total.

Theres really no way to get around the fees. For the taxes, here in IL, private bike sales are only $25 if the bike is more than 3 years old.

In my case I paid like $192 with the 3 items you mentioned above. Of course now I live in Chicago so I have to pay $45/year for a city placard, and then yearly renewal which is around $45 as well per year.

There literally is no way around it. If they changed it to $500 tomorrow, you still have no choice. Our country is kinda broke and they're bumping everything up to try keeping up

·
Registered
39 Posts
I live in texas right now and there is no income tax so sales taxes are kind of crazy here. I got my bike for like 1500$ and it cost about 250$ for tax title and license. I feel your pain man but it doesn't really matter where you go there will always be taxes.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I live in texas right now and there is no income tax so sales taxes are kind of crazy here. I got my bike for like 1500$ and it cost about 250$ for tax title and license. I feel your pain man but it doesn't really matter where you go there will always be taxes.
Yeah, that's our situation. No state income taxes, and low property taxes. Equals increased taxes on fun stuff.....bikes, boats, cars, booze, etc...

·
Registered
149 Posts
When I bought my bike, it was pricey, that tax and stuff... Why does it cost so much to TRANSFER a tag?! Note: I do live in Florida. I mean, they already made the tag?! just switch the number by writing it on a piece of paper! no reason for 100 something dollars! But ya know what, that's done an over with. Now I gotta worry about getting insurance..

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Pfft, it cost me $150 to register a Trailer In A bag. They expire at the end of the year, I did it sometime in June, so it cost me that much for 6 months of having a tinya55 personal trailer.

I do hope some fat and lazy government employee somewhere enjoys my addition to their cushy pension.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
When I bought my bike, it was pricey, that tax and stuff... Why does it cost so much to TRANSFER a tag?! Note: I do live in Florida. I mean, they already made the tag?! just switch the number by writing it on a piece of paper! no reason for 100 something dollars! But ya know what, that's done an over with. Now I gotta worry about getting insurance..

Try Geico dude. I'm paying a little over $10 a month.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts