Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife and I loaded up three bikes in the trailer and headed down to the Kansas DMV in Wichita to get plates. We recently moved to Wichita from SoCal.

In Kansas, the DMV requires each vehicle brought from out of state to be inspected and have the VIN numbers checked to see if the vehicle is stolen. The lady Kansas State Trooper who inspected my bikes was very helpful, pleasant, and did a great job with all of the paperwork (it is a very bureaucratic process). Once she had the numbers, she ran a VIN check to see if any of the three bikes were stolen. The three bikes: 1983 Kawi KZ750, 2003 Honda VTX1800C, and the 2006 Suzuki SV1000S.

When she got the results of the VIN check, she said: "Umm, Mr. T---, there is a problem. None of your vehicles are stolen, but the VIN number on the Suzuki is only one digit off of the VIN number of another Suzuki of the same model which is stolen," "So," I am thinking, it is a different number. Big deal. Well, I guess it is a big deal - - - -

Another Kansas State Trooper working in the DMV that day, a gentleman about 60, overheard the conversation. He immediately got very serious and said: "Mr. T-----, this could be a problem. If you get stopped on the Suzuki and the officer runs the tag, it will probably come back as STOLEN. If that happens, the officer will UNHOLSTER HIS WEAPON, HANDCUFF YOU, and SIT YOU DOWN ON THE CURB. Do NOT try and explain the situation. Do not try and help. Stolen motorcycles are common in Wichita and nearly always result in a chase. We do not like that. It will be VERY TENSE until he finds out that your bike is not stolen. Once he finds out the bike is not stolen, he will be very appologetic. But, until then, it will be TENSE."

Hummm. I am obviously amuzed by this. I am a 57 year old male with silver hair. I can not imagine being handcuffed and set on the curb. The thought acutally is rather appealing - you klnow - a new adventure.

The officer sees I am not quite as serious as he. Also, the other 8 people in the room are beginning to snicker. He repeats the scenario and suggests: "Do not get stopped. Stay below the posted speed limit. Always use your turn signals. Do not get stopped."

I am thinking: 'Humm, back in SoCal the SV rarely saw anything less than twice the posted speed limit. Its whole purpose is to 'clear my mind' on the back roads and canyons (no canyons in Kansas!). It has seen 150+ on I-5 in Anaheim more than once! I don't even want to think about the back roads and the canyons!'

Everyone is snickering. I don't know whether to laugh or be serious. For once in my life I did not make a 'cute' remark. I assured the officer I would heed his message.

Yeah, right. Handcuffs and on the curb. That might be kinda fun - - - - - -

So, whay couldn't the VUN number mixup be on the Kawasaki?!?!?!?!?!?!

Regards,
Joe T.

· Registered
273 Posts
I guess it could be rather amusing if you havent had that treatment before, but trust me, getting put on the curb with handcuffs isnt the best of situations. Im only 21 and it hasnt happened in about two years, but in my really big pothead days (all day, every day) it happened pretty often. Its embarrassing if nothing else. All the cops in my small town know of me and my family, none keep to the book

But mine was a car search, car getting ripped apart and they tell you didnt catch you this time with a car to put back together in the middle of the night. Oh, and they are stern lol. If you are a pothead, anyone reading this, a white boy leaving the ghetto isnt quite a picture perfect moment for a cop (or maybe it is)

· Registered
207 Posts
So, let me get this straight - in Wichita, if a car is pulled over w/o a chase and all the paper work is in order, matches the VIN, but it happens to be a same make/model/color (or the VIN is one digit off) of a car reported stolen, does the driver get to spend time handcuffed on the curb until they confirm the paperwork? But if the same thing happens to a motorcycle, it's practically shoot first and ask questions later?

· Banned
3,885 Posts
This is hilarious!!! ...If the VIN of your bike is clear... It does not matter if 10 numbers before, and 10 numbers after have been stolen...

Maybe the Officer would like to re-enter the VIN number to double check...

I been arrested 2 times on the SV...

Once for speeding... I stop, turn the bike off, and was working on getting the helmet off, when the Officer pull out his gun and order me to put the keys on the ground and lay face down on the asphalt... ;D

And another one for missing a payment on the same speeding ticket. :rolleyes:

I will start with I am not proud of it... Getting arrested was not fun... But it was not a big deal either.... Sure it was annoying as hell, I could be having fun doing whatever else I pleased...

Luis

· Registered
78 Posts
I registered an out of state SV in KS too, and they said the same thing. I didn't have the whole officer thing though.

It does make sense that they check for this; It'd be pretty easy for a skillful person to change a 0 to an 8 or vice versa. Hell, I could probably do it with bondo. However, I have no idea why it would show up to the officer as stolen. Once the DMV checks it, why does the officer needed to check again? ...waste of time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.