Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

121 - 128 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
In my experience the vast majority of crashes are solely caused by the rider. I call that "the rider crashing and taking his bike with him.". Modern bikes are so competent that they will usually make any corner if you LET them. A good rule of thumb is this. If you get to the point where you find yourself tensing up, it is caused by too much information flowing to your brain too fast. Don't go ANY faster at this point until things seem to slow down to a comfortable level. Then add a little bit and repeat.
Keeping your eyes UP and upper body LOOSE and RELAXED helps a ton too.

Mad

·
MOTORADOR
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
In my experience the vast majority of crashes are solely caused by the rider. I call that "the rider crashing and taking his bike with him.". Modern bikes are so competent that they will usually make any corner if you LET them. A good rule of thumb is this. If you get to the point where you find yourself tensing up, it is caused by too much information flowing to your brain too fast. Don't go ANY faster at this point until things seem to slow down to a comfortable level. Then add a little bit and repeat.
Keeping your eyes UP and upper body LOOSE and RELAXED helps a ton too.

Mad
Did you read the article?

·
MOTORADOR
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Bump for newcomers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
really appreciate the article. thank you for the help!

btw, just to say that, personally, what helps me the most (or what I feel has the most impact) is the "look through the turn". huuuuuge difference when turning.

Again, thanks a bunch mate!

·
Super Moderator
8,071 Posts
btw, just to say that, personally, what helps me the most (or what I feel has the most impact) is the "look through the turn". huuuuuge difference when turning.
yep that's how that works. lets you have more balance, show you problems earlier, hacks your brain into reducing sense of speed and therefore anxiety

·
Registered
5 Posts
Your writing is both smooth and effective much like my cornering will become with tips like these!
#1 Fish hooked nose!

#2 shift weight to butt cheek on the inside of the curve.

Is counter-steering when one presses on the handle bar in the direction they want to go?Example : press on right handle bar to turn right. I am a beginner/novice and love to learn ; especially skills that help prevent tragedy. To help install the press on the bars in the direction one wishes to go I dodge manhole covers initiating the maneuver by pressing the handle bar. ( I want to train my brain to do these maneuvers automatically shaving crucial tenths of seconds off of my activation time. Perception time is 1 - 2 seconds.) I notice when cornering pressing on the handle bar that is on the inside of a curve helps tip the bike further over and into the curve. If I look where I want to go and get use to proper body positioning my cornering will improve. As a novice I am finding that looking where one wants the bike to go is a very a important aspect of cornering and should be focused (pun) on until it becomes second nature. Please correct anything that I have wrong. Thank you for writing something that is easy to read and possibly life saving. FISH ON!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Excellent advice.

I was lucky enough to live near racetracks that host track days. They're by far the best and safest way to improve riding skills. You'll hear OfrMX's advice over and over again and get to practice it without worrying about speed limits, traffic coming the other way, potholes and police, and get coaching as well. If you can get to a trackday somehow, do it!

I've had a couple lessons lately on looking through turns at higher than expected speeds. I'm getting used to my SV650 by, um, well, riding a little over the speed limit. I twice came into turns that tightened up unexpectedly. They looked like I was heading straight into the guardrails. Time slowed down and I thought to myself, forget the guardrail look through the turn! The bike leaned over so far it felt like I could have touched the pavement with my elbow, but it just blasted out of the turn and I went on my way.

LOOK THROUGH THE TURN!

121 - 128 of 128 Posts