Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

101 - 120 of 128 Posts

·
MOTORADOR
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Re: Why we panic in a turn (and how to prevent it)

Bump for the new arrivals.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Newb rider, 4 days on motorcycles under my belt. Good info! Thanks!

·
Registered
234 Posts

Had the front suspension bottom out on me for the first time on the SV.
S corner, camber varies due to been buggered from trucks, I went round and hit a rutt with speed and the front bottomed as I touched the front brake, went out a tad too far towards the centre line and the wheel touched for a brief moment till I corrected.

In that brief moment I thought WTF, correct or suffer splat. A mate was following me and seen it. We discussed yeah **** happens and you have to move on.

Yeah need new fork oil and check of the springs. Rather than think the bike needs maintenance and I can't ride it till then, I'm mindful of that corner as the bike will bottom out and I'll loose my cool. So I've been back to the same corner and find a new line at the speed I want is the best approach for removing fear. Repeat till I get faster, if I hit that rutt don't touch the brake just ride and correct.

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts

Almost ran into a guardrail yesterday, Left turn, sloppy downshift upset the front causing a wobble, had to stand it up and brake. Was able to slowdown enough to release the brakes and turn. Rider's mistake. Sometimes I still make the bike jerk when I brake and rev-match to downshift. Just have to practice more on my in-turn braking. I need a few sessions on the track, I'm just getting used to just braking before the turn and set the speed, rather than trail braking.

·
MOTORADOR
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #105

·
Greetings Program
6,272 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,103 Posts

I live in Kansas, what is this "turn" thing you speak of?
Its a disease that ravages countrysides from the northern east coast, down along the coastline, then continuing through Tennessee to Arkansas and Oklahoma before becoming extreme in the Rockies and skipping on over to the West Coast.

It has taken too many lives for our states to permit it to spread...

·
Premium Member
2,103 Posts

sometimes happens in texas too
Darn guys down in Austin spreading their vile hilliness! :cussing:

·
MOTORADOR
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #112

Yah, I've heard those three consecutive corners in Texas can become addictive.

Sent from my smartshoe using my pinky toe.

·
Registered
31 Posts

Nick's book Sport Riding Techniques, (for street and track), is a great book and also points out how looking way ahead helps keep everything in balance and you going through the turn cleanly. Really good tips on braking as well, much of which has been talked about here and in a previous thread on braking. I highly recommend this book!

·
MOTORADOR
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #117

·
MOTORADOR
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #118

Bump for the 2018 newcomers.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Just re-read this, excellent write-up. Do you mind if I share this with another forum?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
MOTORADOR
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
Just re-read this, excellent write-up. Do you mind if I share this with another forum?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
Feel free to spread the word! It's all about reducing crashes and rider fatalities :)

Here's the permalink: http://ofirmx.com/blog/21

- Ofir

Sent from my SM-T817T using Tapatalk

101 - 120 of 128 Posts