Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

81 - 100 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Re: Why do we panic in a turn? (and how to prevent it)

I guess this explains why I crash my dirtbikes so much.
That form is right for the dirt; wrong for the street.

·
Registered
228 Posts

Personally, I like the PANIC (lol, emergency that is) brake until I can turn the hell away from whatever is in front of me. I'd rather lowside into a wall than hit it head on, in the event I truly cannot make the turn.

Given how often I ride in heavy traffic, stopping completely is very unlikely to be the correct answer to a tricky situation. Better to scrub speed and then swerve/squeak out to safety IMO.

·
MOTORADOR
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #83

Thanks, bmcghie, for bumping this thread but, did you even read the first post (or the original blog article)? It's about cornering and proper body position. Braking is a subject covered anywhere else :)

Sent from under your bed

·
Registered
42 Posts

Thank you for this article, in 2001 I owned a HD Fatboy as my first bike. I wrecked 3 weeks later, due to inexperience and losing sight of the road at night, because I didn't look thru my turn. If I had read this article. I might of avoided my accident and I might of not given up riding for 13 years. I'm 5'11 and a solid not flabby 235lbs +/- 10lbs and older now. So I like to think I will respect the bike more now.
Is there a smart way for a big guy to ride a crotch rocket?

·
MOTORADOR
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #86

I've learned panicking makes me crash lol
Yup, and not having the proper body position at all times can cause you to go into panic mode very easily.

Sent from under your bed

·
Registered
461 Posts

You're better off being PROactive than REactive in a turn.

Remember. Your bike can make the turn. 99. 9% of the time

·
Registered
6,676 Posts

Remember. Your bike can make the turn. 99. 9% of the time
Absolutely! The only problem is the bike can only do it if YOU can. And as has been pointed out very eloquently by the OP....this depends on your body positioning as a critical factor. In a car, you can just fling the wheel and the car will do what it'll do....but the bike requires you to be where you need to be BEFORE you initiate the turning.

I've experienced the 'oh crap I can't make the upcoming turn' feeling only when I've been taking it easy and not being aggressive which had me out of position. When riding fast and attacking the turns it's never happened that I hit one too fast to make.(knocks on wood) Even when riding gently, it's very good to practice your aggressive upper body positioning just in case that upcoming turn ends up being a little tighter than you thought. (kiss the mirror)

·
MOTORADOR
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #90

Thanks, Rob.

... and sorry for derailing your 'oh crap' thread :hiding:

·
Super Moderator
8,071 Posts

another thing with being deep on the inside of your bike. if you slide the front for some reason, you can save it from there. if you're up on top, it's much harder to save a front end washout. happened a few times to me on the street, and i'm nowhere near knee down on the sv usually

·
Registered
112 Posts

excellent right up OfirMX. Ever since I started riding a year ago I've been reading up on how to ride, and after some time you end up reading the same info over and over again, and only a small bit of new info presents itself. But I've never seen anyone mention the importance of body positioning to your mental and physical state.

Very invaluable info right here, and now that I know it makes so much sense, now i consciously feel how my body positioning is affecting my riding. Thanx for sharing

·
Super Moderator
8,071 Posts

^^ get someone to take some video of you riding. you should be able to see what you're doing (not what you think you're doing) and how that compares to what you should be doing

·
Registered
112 Posts

Yeah, I really should get on that! I do have some fellow riders once in a blue moon, so I will need to ask them one day, as soon as I can supply a camera and mount.

·
MOTORADOR
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #97

Thanks, tsakali. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts

Pretty interesting read, shoulda found this 3 years ago when I started riding.

·
MOTORADOR
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Re: Why we panic in a turn (and how to prevent it)

Frick, thank you for updating the title of this thread :)
It makes more sense now.

81 - 100 of 128 Posts