Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey forums. The other day I was riding and at one point redlined the bike fully, in second gear, not on purpose I might add. By the time I had noticed this, the bike dropped into neutral by itself. Is this a safety mechanism of the bike? Or is this a future cause for concern?
Thank you.

·
Registered
6,745 Posts
No....there's no 'safety mechanism' to shift it into Neutral after a redline....but there IS a fuel shut-off to keep you from blowing it up from over-rev. Most likely it wasn't fully into second (try to be a bit more positive with your shifting) which is why it popped out when it hit the rev limiter.

There could...of course...be something wrong with the second gear dogs if the 1-2 shift has been done sloppily in the past so that can't be ruled out. Do you use the clutch when upshifting?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No....there's no 'safety mechanism' to shift it into Neutral after a redline....but there IS a fuel shut-off to keep you from blowing it up from over-rev. Most likely it wasn't fully into second (try to be a bit more positive with your shifting) which is why it popped out when it hit the rev limiter.

There could...of course...be something wrong with the second gear dogs if the 1-2 shift has been done sloppily in the past so that can't be ruled out. Do you use the clutch when upshifting?
Yes, I am a clutch man through and through. I will keep an eye out for this, however I rarely push it past 10k/min so we'll see.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts