Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When cruising on a 40+mph road with red light cameras why in the hell should a motorcyclist dive on the brakes risking being rear ended to avoid paying a fine, Half of the fine goes to the company that installed the cameras. Is safety factored into the equation?

In Lynnwood, WA they made the yellow light sequence much shorter in order to collect more revenue. A wise citizen researched the national standard and challenged the ticket overturning tickets totaling well over $1 million. I am fairly sure they did not simply refund the money, more likely those ticketed had to request a reimbursement.

I often wondered why cages approaching green lights are braking. It dawned on me they likely have received red light camera tickets.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I agree, it's not about safety, it's all about generating revenue. In my area of SoCal, most of the cities have gotten rid of them. To much push back from the citizens. The cities weren't following California Vehicle Code on the timing of the lights and contracts for the cameras.

·
Registered
6,682 Posts
Red light cameras were NEVER about safety.

Revenue generators.

When you see your local Police on TV spouting the benefits of cameras, you know you have found a paid liar.
Bingo!:) We had one around here a while back...but mysteriously it kept getting shot up and destroyed so they eventually learned that it was costing them money rather than making it and was removed.

Everyone in the USA could take this same approach and deal with the cameras before they get out of hand. It's our responsibility after all to put an end to such obstructive devices.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts