Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Sorry for the semi-necro here. But I had the FI-indicator light up on me today.

I had just had the Gladius serviced the other day for the 12000km service. The mechanic had trouble starting the bike and gave me a call. I told him I had also been having trouble starting it and I was certain it had to do with the clutch. He called me back a few minutes later stating that the clutch safety relay (is this the name?) was broken and that he had temporarily connected the wires so that I would be able to ride the bike. I also have aftermarket levers btw, Titax ones.

Anyway, when riding it now (still with temporary solution) I rode for 15-20 minutes with no issues. Then after riding another 15-20 minutes the FI-light would light up on me. I turned off the bike and rode it for another 2-3 minutes to the store I was heading to, no FI-light. After departing the store the FI-light would light up again after 1-2 minutes of riding. At this point I left the bike running and disconnected the temporary connecting of the wires that the mechanic had hooked up. I was hoping that I would tell the bike "I disenaged the clutch... happy?". No dice, FI-light still on. So I turn off the bike, connect the wires, start and ride for another 15-20 minutes and nothing... I am confused.

Going to see what the dealer mode error code says.

To the previous people who said you had issues with the clutch on your aftermarket levers. What was the problem? The clutch safety relay was always engaged or what? I mean if you have levers that doesn't engage the relay at all then you shouldn't be able to start the bike at all no?

Thanks.
Hi Kodde
You have to have the wires connected to start the bike i.e. the computer knows that you are not on gear with engaged clutch when engaging the starter. But once the engine started the relay should tell it that you released the clutch and are going to use it in an usual manner. If the relay wires are still connected after you start your bike your computer reads "continuous disengaged clutch" which is a impossibility since your were shifting gears, changing speeds and revs etc. When my clutch cable broke I rode the bike for about 20 miles to get to the dealer. On the way there the FI came on because of the same reason. My understanding is that the relay is "all or nothing" so the moment you replace it and your aftermarket levers can "trigger" and "disengage" the relay properly FI will turn off. It did with my bike once the cable was replaced.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Thanks Palantir.
I've kind of come to this same conclusion as well. But it's nice to have it confirmed. Getting that FI-light makes you a little nervous at first. I've figured out that the clutch safety relay was not at all broke and I've switched back to using it again instead of the temporary permanent connecting of wires. The lever does properly engage/disengage the clutch safety relay. I've yet to ridden it since, but I will when going to work today.

If what we're thinking here is correct, then I should never see this FI light again since from now on I will be properly telling the bike that I am engaging/disengaging the clutch. Hopefully we are right :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Thanks Palantir.
I've kind of come to this same conclusion as well. But it's nice to have it confirmed. Getting that FI-light makes you a little nervous at first. I've figured out that the clutch safety relay was not at all broke and I've switched back to using it again instead of the temporary permanent connecting of wires. The lever does properly engage/disengage the clutch safety relay. I've yet to ridden it since, but I will when going to work today.

If what we're thinking here is correct, then I should never see this FI light again since from now on I will be properly telling the bike that I am engaging/disengaging the clutch. Hopefully we are right :)
Good luck man, ride safe:rock:

·
Registered
664 Posts
Thanks. You too.

So far our theory holds true. But have only tried it for 4 shorter runs so far. 12min, 5min, 5min, 15min. Will keep riding to work so I'll find out one way or another.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Just an update if anyone ever reads through this thread.

I've ridden a lot now since I switched back from the temporary connecting of the clutch sensor. Never seen the FI indicator light up since then. I'm pretty much convinced that bypassing the clutch sensor on the handlebar controls leads to FI indicator lighting up.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Thanks Palantir.

I have the ASV levers. Any way you can talk me through how to make sure that the lever is properly engaging/disengaging the clutch safety relay? I am having the FI light turn on when I use engine braking to slow down. Doesn't happen when I use brakes only and I'm pretty sure it's not the tipover switch. I haven't checked the dealer code yet but this sounds like the problem as I recently got the clutch cable changed and use an aftermarket lever.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ok guys, in serious need of help
I cut what I thought was wire 24 the green and black, im still certain it is, and My F1 light is coming on and I cant start my bike! Any suggestions please!!!
I did this for the restriction removal, But maybe I have been fooled!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I following a van it was smoked and then I swicth off my bike when I have to start again they show me red fi don't want to Start but after 5 min they start and red fi gone then I carry on I think it sense that smoke

21 - 28 of 28 Posts