Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the red FI light on my instrument pannel turned on the other day. I was wondering if someone w/ a owners manual would be kind enough to tell me what the light means. My first guesse was that FI stood for fluid indicator but all the fluids are good. Im relatively good mechanicly and I can find anything wrong w/ the bike. Any help would be awsome. Thanks...

Joe

·
Registered
689 Posts
At work right now but when I get home tonight I'll check, unless someone beats me to it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Fuel Injection issue. It basically means there's something horribly wrong with the engine management, and you need to have it checked ASAP. The manual says to stop the engine immediately and have it inspected by a dealer.

If the bike's still running ok, it was probably just a fluke and needs to be reset. But you shouldn't see that ever, at all. So have it checked.

(Am I really the only one who read the manual cover to cover on every bike he's owned, day 1?)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fuel Injection issue. It basically means there's something horribly wrong with the engine management, and you need to have it checked ASAP. The manual says to stop the engine immediately and have it inspected by a dealer.

If the bike's still running ok, it was probably just a fluke and needs to be reset. But you shouldn't see that ever, at all. So have it checked.
That sucks...

Thanks

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
random, two posts right at the top, i'll tell you the same thing i posted in the other thread, and blogfreth is most likely making a mountain out of a mole hill.

The FI (fuel injection) light means one of the sensors is either toast or seeing something bad. If its a loss of oil pressure its serious, just about anything else will probably be an easy repair.

third post down, jump the connector and it will flash you the codes. Find out what the problem is.
http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=125329&highlight=fi+code

·
Registered
83 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The bikes still running. The FI light turns on about 5 min after I start it. I'm gonna try to figure out what exact code is being thrown. In the mean time I have a appiontment on Tuesday to have the dealer look at it. What evers wrong w/ it, it's probably still covered by my under warrenty.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I figured out the problem. The code was for my clutch saftey switch. Its a small switch under the clutch lever. I recently replaced my levers w/ a set of ASVs (do to a small crash). Apperently the ASV clutch lever was not allowing the switch to engage. Now Im rocking a stock clutch lever and a ASV brake lever but the FI light is off. Thanks to the folks that posted up info to help me out. Now Im gonna go for a ride, gotta make up for the weekend of ridding I missed trying to fix the bike...

Joe

·
Registered
29 Posts
Dang, mine just threw the light yesterday during riding to work (2 minutes after taking off). Ignition off and on, light disappeared. Start again, no light. After 2 minutes riding, T-T it came back. I will take her to see a doctor this Friday.

Bike runs just fine even the FI light is on.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
if you have basic hand tools it is reeeally easy to check the FI light yourself. The post i put up on the first page has a link to how to do it.

OP glad you figured out your problem.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just replaced my levers and the exact same thing happed, i was gettign all worried, although i better get down to my dealer and see if anything can be done about the light keep appearing becasue the bike is running just lovely.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'd just like to point out that FI stands for Fault Indicator. Not necessarily Fuel Injector issues.
I.e. The TOS (Tip over sensor) which is under the seat has nothing to do with the fuel system but is enough to trip the FI light.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I'd just like to point out that FI stands for Fault Indicator. Not necessarily Fuel Injector issues.
I.e. The TOS (Tip over sensor) which is under the seat has nothing to do with the fuel system but is enough to trip the FI light.
Hmm, according to the manual the FI light is for the Fuel injector system, no mention of "Fault Indicator" anywhere....

·
Registered
39 Posts
Being new to the bike world this might not be true, but how is the TOS not connected to the fuel system? I would think that the TOS is like a fuel shutoff - am I wong?

·
Registered
664 Posts
Sorry for the semi-necro here. But I had the FI-indicator light up on me today.

I had just had the Gladius serviced the other day for the 12000km service. The mechanic had trouble starting the bike and gave me a call. I told him I had also been having trouble starting it and I was certain it had to do with the clutch. He called me back a few minutes later stating that the clutch safety relay (is this the name?) was broken and that he had temporarily connected the wires so that I would be able to ride the bike. I also have aftermarket levers btw, Titax ones.

Anyway, when riding it now (still with temporary solution) I rode for 15-20 minutes with no issues. Then after riding another 15-20 minutes the FI-light would light up on me. I turned off the bike and rode it for another 2-3 minutes to the store I was heading to, no FI-light. After departing the store the FI-light would light up again after 1-2 minutes of riding. At this point I left the bike running and disconnected the temporary connecting of the wires that the mechanic had hooked up. I was hoping that I would tell the bike "I disenaged the clutch... happy?". No dice, FI-light still on. So I turn off the bike, connect the wires, start and ride for another 15-20 minutes and nothing... I am confused.

Going to see what the dealer mode error code says.

To the previous people who said you had issues with the clutch on your aftermarket levers. What was the problem? The clutch safety relay was always engaged or what? I mean if you have levers that doesn't engage the relay at all then you shouldn't be able to start the bike at all no?

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts