Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for anybody that knows:

What is the evil red dust on my chain. I've read different things about this and some say it is a harbinger of doom. Either way, my expensive DID X-Ring chain that is meticulously cleaned/lubed/adjusted has 10,000 miles on it and is producing red dust. I haven't cleaned it in about 800 miles (as it's been cold and I've just been lubing it). Any thoughts. My preferred thought is that of 'fretting' wherein the metal/metal contact produces wear and the dust from the steel chain/sprockets is oxidizing. It makes sense to me. I can't imagine that all of my x-rings would bonk at once (particularly since they look fine) and that the inner lube would evaporate. If this expensive chain dies with fewer miles than my tires, then I'm buying a BMW.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's good to know. I couldn't imagine how steel sprockets ground down by grit/sand wouldn't eventually lead to rust that sticks to the chain wax. I'm also on sport-touring.net and I read something about it being from "within" the chain and a bad sign of impending chain death. Anyway, thanks, I'm going to go eat dinner, clean the chain, and forget about it.

G

·
Nimbus said:
That's good to know. I couldn't imagine how steel sprockets ground down by grit/sand wouldn't eventually lead to rust that sticks to the chain wax. I'm also on sport-touring.net and I read something about it being from "within" the chain and a bad sign of impending chain death. Anyway, thanks, I'm going to go eat dinner, clean the chain, and forget about it.
it is actualy both but all colects around counter sprocket area.
you also have lube that turns that stuff in to mud.
dont worry about it,keep cleaning and lubing :)

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Amongst other issues, my clutch rod seal is leaking (but I knew that and my parts are in). Either way, my chain is now beautifully clean and after work tonight it will be warmed/lubed. My sprockets show no visible wear (even the little lines on the teeth of the OEM rear are still there). So, I'm just going to keep riding. Supposed to be sunny/60 this weekend.

Thanks guys.

PS: Do I need to remove the chain/countershaft sprocket to replace the clutch rod seal or just pull the rod out and force the seal out?

G

·
Nimbus said:
PS: Do I need to remove the chain/countershaft sprocket to replace the clutch rod seal or just pull the rod out and force the seal out?
you will have to pull sprocket out and take metal plate covering seals off.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
TWF said:
you will have to pull sprocket out and take metal plate covering seals off.
Sounds like it's time to find a big sprocket (happen to know what size...it couldn't be 22mm because I have that for the axle), a long pipe, and break out the breaker bar.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
TWF said:
Thanks. Your feedback saves me a lot of time and/or $$$.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts