Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I replace the R/R on my SV650 naked 2002 with one from pretty much any similar sized CC bike?

Specifically I'm looking at one from a Honda FMX650 that is a)cheap and b) quite new (2005).

Also until I get one, how long will my battery last if I run with no headlights (no night riding obviously!).

I can charge it every day no bother, and my commute is only about 10 miles each way.

I would guess the lights are the biggest drain (if I turn them on, the tacho needle drops to zero).

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
No way to tell how long your battery will last just by guessing. You should look for a MOSFET replacement such as a FH008 from a '07+ CBR600. If the R/R that you are looking at has a part # that begins with a SH, then it's going to be the same type, SCR, as the SV oem part. An output of about 35A is all you need in a R/R. Higher output MOSFETS will work, but they are going to be physically larger. See if you can get the model # off the Honda R/R. No matter what you buy from another bike, you will have to redo the connections. You are gambling with the battery going dead.

·
Registered
106 Posts
See: RR mod how-to (svrider.com) and Charging system diagnostic r/r upgrade (eviltwinsbk.com)

Make sure you do those checks before you leap, could save you some coin. Also good discussion on why the R/Rs RMAN suggested are optimal. IF you have to replace the R/R go for the upgrade.

Charging and discharging a lead acid battery can drain it faster. How much faster? I don't know. You might be able to run it that way with no ill effect or it may kill the battery or somewhere in between with little indication (other than a multimeter) on which one's happening.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for that - I will email the seller and ask them if it has a part number on it.

Thankfully my battery is only a few mths old so should be pretty sturdy to take charge and then discharge.

I was mindful this morning as to my indicating, and trying to use engine braking wherever possible, even holding it in gear rather than allowing the neutral light to be on!

Hopefully I can get it sorted in a few short days.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Would this one suffice - it's listed for a CBR, but is clearly a new Chinese alternative and doesn't have the heatsink I expected. The original (different listing) seems to have the model number SH633-12 with T9.D on a seperate line stamped on it (so its a shunt and not a MOSFET).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Regulator...36?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item256574438c

It covers lots of models but are these all old models and thus this R/R may not be suitable?

NB there are 100's of this style on Fleabay so before I waste my money, I could do with knowing (today please so I can get one ordered).

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you want to go "plug and play" you can't go wrong with the Accel 201405 Chrome Motorcycle Voltage Regulator for Suzuki SV650/DL 1000. I bought one off of amazon for about $90 (new part, lifetime warranty), plugged it in to factory location and factory harness (had to get two longer M6 1.0mm thread bolts from hardware store as this heat sink is fatter than the stock one), put my rear fairings back on, and went for a ride...have never looked back. AWESOME PRODUCT that NO ONE here seems to know about.
Just my two cents.
-The Swede

·
Registered
15 Posts
By the by. Accel has been around for a long time...they have built mod parts for drag cars and the like since the '70's. Also, I'm an educator and do not work for them, so I'm not trying to push a product, just making it easier for ALL 650 owners to get that fixed once and for all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts