Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
The Well-Leathered Mod
4,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've had a tear in my stock seat cover since it "cold cracked" last winter, and I couldnt stand to pay the upholstery shops $100+ to recover my seats w/ some other fake leather material.

Well, I was browsing around on some upholstery supplier websites and found a really neat "Marine Carbon Fiber Vinyl" material.  It  turns out its very similar (if not the same) as what they're putting on the Corbin Seats.
This is it:

I figured, why not recover it myself?  So I bought some material.
While I was working on it, I shaved my seat down a bit to give it more of that sargent saddle style (a little more scooped) which hopefully will cause fewer hot-spots on my butt.

I got the staple gun, Wendy helped me stretch & staple the material to the base.
Here's a pic of the bottom as we were stapling:

Here's finished (but before trimming the excess):

And here's on the bike:

It was a little difficult, and I could definitely use some more practice, but Im overall very pleased.

What do you think?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Looks good... I probably would have never known it wasn't professionally done. Hopefully the material holds up well!

·
Registered
597 Posts
Great job... looks awesome!

It's really kool to make your own sh!t instread of just buying a new seat.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Looks good. I had redone the seat on my old katana a couple times. One trick to make it fit really nice and tight as well as looked nice and sculpted is to use a hair dryer to heat the material up as you are stretching and stapling it. As it cools, so long as your staples are in well, it will really tighten up and look factory.

·
Registered
35 Posts
i used to work in upholstery to pay for school, and that's a testement to how easy MOST [not all] re-coverings are.
great job. i was going to use the same material on my seat, but chose to leave the stock cover intact for now

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
Looks great!
did you change the foam to something different?
I thought of doing that to a stock seat, and switching the foam to that memory-foam stuff- if you go to a mattress store, they have nice 12"x16" or 16"x16" samples of the stuff... just give the guy a "fifsky" and use that...
the mattresses are soooo comfortable so it would probably make a nice seat, only I would be afraid i would fall asleep on the bike ;)

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
DrummerDaveB said:
It was actually pretty stretchy stuff, and you could just stretch the wrinkles out.  Worked out better than I expected too.
OK, that's where my problem was... in typical donniej fashion, I tried using some super-thick indestructible vinyl leather stuff.

·
Registered
44 Posts
dackler said:
Looks great!
did you change the foam to something different?
I thought of doing that to a stock seat, and switching the foam to that memory-foam stuff- if you go to a mattress store, they have nice 12"x16" or 16"x16" samples of the stuff... just give the guy a "fifsky" and use that...
the mattresses are soooo comfortable so it would probably make a nice seat, only I would be afraid i would fall asleep on the bike ;)
You can also buy the stuff on ebay. Just search using "memory foam" and you should come across a few auctions with leftover pieces that work great for a seat reshaping.

·
Registered
186 Posts
how does it feel with the reshape and the new material? do you slide around more or is it more grip?

I am looking into something like that as well.

Q

·
Registered
920 Posts
Nice job!

I'm thinking about doing the memory foam thing with my seat. I did 150 miles today, and my boney arse is kinda sore.

I've recovered a couple of seats on equipment at work, and have had pretty good luck using an electric carpet tacker to staple the covers back on to the plastic seat pans. The carpet tackers have plenty of ooomph to drive the staples in nice and flush, but since the carpet staples have a narrower crown, I used a few extra so the material woudln't tear out from underneath them.

If only I could fit this comfy desk chair to my bike, I'd be in bidness. These [email protected] armrests may make hanging off the side a bit tricky though.....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Great Job!

and perfect timing for me too! as I was riding my SV today and didnt realize my rear seat not locked in till it flew off on the freeway and hit my backpack. I waited for traffic to die down and went to look for it, and I found it....but all the seat material is fuct, though suprisingly nothing happened to the seat frame nor latch except for a few scratches. it even snapped right back on.

Where did you get the material from? Price?

I need to get enough to cover both seats since I have a gel seat and that thing soaks up water like a sponge!

Thanks,
SportSV

·
Registered
653 Posts
looks great. That material looks like the semi-water resistant stuff on my Corbin. Sheds water quite well actually.

·
Registered
415 Posts
My gel seat ripped and I have been thinking about doing this as well.

Any ideas (I saw someone on this thread said they worked in apolstery (sp)) on what kind of material would be good to put over a gel seat?
It seams the kind of material that the poster used in this thread wouldn't stretch enough during use to compensate for the movment of the gel. I would need something that conforms a little more....wouldn't I?

Anyways, great post, looks good. Hopefully I can learn from this and do mine as well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts