Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I may have set a new record for getting a ticket.  Just put my new Two Brothers can on yesterday,(which I love ;D) and got a ticket for it on the same day!!!!  And on top of that, the @$$Hole gave me a ticket cause I had my face mask up inbetween lights!!!  Never had a ticket before and now 2 in one day :mad:.  Was wondering if anyone else has gotten a ticket for their "after market" exhaust???  I would like to post an image of my bike but i am obviously a noob at this.  Oh well.  If you want look closley at my avatar.  LOL :p

·
Registered
597 Posts
fenderhedd said:
I think I may have set a new record for getting a ticket.  Just put my new Two Brothers can on yesterday,(which I love ;D) and got a ticket for it on the same day!!!!  And on top of that, the @$$Hole gave me a ticket cause I had my face mask up inbetween lights!!!  Never had a ticket before and now 2 in one day :mad:.  Was wondering if anyone else has gotten a ticket for their "after market" exhaust???  I would like to post an image of my bike but i am obviously a noob at this.  Oh well.  If you want look closlet at my avatar.  LOL :p
First, what state were you in?
Second, what did you do to piss that cop off so much?
Third, do you have a lawer?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I am in Oneida, New York.  I was intentionally being quiet on the throttle so as not to bother anyone, especially johnny law.  This guy was a real prick. Not sure what the helmet eye law is here. It is your standard HJC helmet. I just had the face shield up. But it was only cause i was fogging the shield and i was going to put it down once i got going again.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
well, according to the AMA website, NY has a helmet and eye protection law. so if you flipped up your face mask (flip up helmet or visor?) at a light, you technically didn't have any eye protection on. i've heard of this in florida (i believe) that as long as your sitting on the bike, you must have eye protection.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But seriously, this guy was out on a mission.  That whole power trip thing.  Plus I hear the police in that area (New Hartford) are no joke.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hopefully this works. 
Just wanted to show a pic!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
treoff said:
That sux, all I can say is get a lawer.
Why should I get a lawyer, wouldnt it just be cheaper to pay the ticket?

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
Are you sure you didn't do something else to get the cop pissed?? I've heard of the open shield, with no glasses on, can be a ticket in NY but what about all those straight piped Harleys? Anyway they are equipment violations and don't give you any points on your driving record but Lord knows how much they can fine you, you may be surprised.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I don't know about NY, but here in MN your visor can be up as long as you're not moving. Another reason why I always wear either sunglasses or clear glasses

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
treoff said:
Cheaper, yea. But is costs money to stick it to @ss holes sometimes.

BTW the pic didn't come out.

Could you or any others tell me how to post pics???

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Marc said:
Are you sure you didn't do something else to get the cop pissed?? I've heard of the open shield, with no glasses on, can be a ticket in NY but what about all those straight piped Harleys? Anyway they are equipment violations and don't give you any points on your driving record but Lord knows how much they can fine you, you may be surprised.
I know I didnt do anything to piss the a-hole off. I was extra cautious the whole night just in case. And youre right I wasnt wearing any glasses, but he could have overlooked that.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
new2sv said:
I don't know about NY, but here in MN your visor can be up as long as you're not moving. Another reason why I always wear either sunglasses or clear glasses

+1. The majority of the time I spend <30 mph, the visor is up. I always wear some form of goggles under the helmet changing sunglasses/lenses as conditions warrant, even at night (clear lenses). I use a standard clear shield. It's much quicker and easier to change goggles than helmet faceshields, and also takes up much less storage space.

I may be paranoid, but I'd be leery of the third one you get in the near future, you know the old rule of three? :eek:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Six Chin Skinny said:
I may be paranoid, but I'd be leery of the third one you get in the near future, you know the old rule of three?    :eek:
Thanks alot, thats all I need is to be more paranoid now.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
A lawyer will indeed cost more than the potential benefits, especially since you don't dispute the facts.

There is always risk making changes to the bike that are not legal. Different areas have different enforcement practices for laws that are on the books. There are more and more citizen complaints about loud motorcycles (I know several LEOs and they all say they get more complaints, especially in residential areas). There are also more complaints about reckless riding, including stunting and excessive speed. As more people ride the visibility of motorcycles increases, and the more people ride irresponsibly the more the complaints will increase.

You never know. Even though you were doing your best to fit in, the cop may have recieved numerous complaints that same day. You could be paying for the actions of others.

·
Registered
238 Posts
when I sit at light with my visor down.....I sometimes fog up. So is having eye protection at a stop worth not seeing the traffic around you at an intersection?

hmmmm....

·
Registered
276 Posts
I usually ride around town with my visor half open, so that my eyes are shielded, but I still get the fresh air and avoid fog.

Sorry to hear about those tickets, though. Sounds like the cop was just having a bad day and needed to take it out on someone, or, as someone else posited, there were a lot of complaints about loud bikes these days.

Now, that said, I dont know why they never go after the Harley crowd. Straight pipes that set off car alarms are okay, but a slip-on pipe on a japanese bike is 'too loud'. Meh. Same thing happens in the car scene... domestics get off light for speeding and other driving offenses, modified imports dont.

The most blatant example of this trend I've ever seen was along a block of parked cars, all of them with expired parking meters. DPT cop went down the line writing parking tickets for all the japanese cars on the block, and not ticketing any of the american ones. After he left, I went and looked at the cars he'd failed to ticket to see if there were any reasons why (parking permit, handicapped placard, etc) but couldt find any. I was pretty steamed, but what are you going to do?

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
You're an hour north of me (Binghamton, NY), and I've been hearing alot of shit about the Syracuse area. There's a project Eagle Eye going on with helicopter watching the highways and mailing tickets to speeding offenders. Alot of cracking down on motorcyclists in general. I have my faceshield up alot when in town, but I do have sunglasses on most of the time, so that might constitute as eye protection. Cops have left me alone around here, but it is just a matter of time.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts