Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've just bought a second hand 2017 SV650 with ABS and with only 1800 KM on it.

First time on a naked bike after spending 3 years with my beloved Vstrom650 and I must say that the wind protection is horrible And I have a small wind screen which came with the bike.

Not very helpful. Soon as you go over 60 MPH the wind is absolutely horrible.
And between 75 - 90 MPH your neck begins to snap and that's we my wind tucked in.

So I need your help.
Some have recommended GIVI or MRV.
Now on MRV there is the universal fit and there is the designated fir for the SV650 2017 model.

I don't care so much for the appearance, well... maybe a little bit but I don't want to put an inch an a half wind screen which does me no good.

I need good solid wind screen which will significantly reduce the wind.
I trust your experience...

Thank you in advance

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I have a Givi on my '04N, and while it does cut down on the wind force, the turbulence it introduces significantly increases wind noise in my helmet. I'm seriously contemplating trying a stock windscreen, or no windscreen at all, just to see what the difference is.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a Givi on my '04N, and while it does cut down on the wind force, the turbulence it introduces significantly increases wind noise in my helmet. I'm seriously contemplating trying a stock windscreen, or no windscreen at all, just to see what the difference is.
What you describe is exactly what I experience while I'm riding my bike.
It feels like all the turbulence is going straight to my helmet.

It feels like someone has placed my head in a washing machine.

I also didn't can the chance to ride without the wind shield but I'm not intend to.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm looking for a feedback from someone who had experienced a good wind shield on this bike which significantly reduce the wind drag/ turbulence etc.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I installed an Ermax on mine. Took over a month to get here though.

Over 80 the wind is still noticable, but drastically reduced from stock.
I don't know if that is what you have but I've just checked and I also have Ermax wind shield designated for the SV650 and it is useless once you go over 60 MPH. Maybe I'm delicate I don't know.

Is this the same one you have installed on your bike?
And to my knowledge the SV 650 comes naked without any windshield what so ever.

Attachments

·
Registered
926 Posts
I think you may be delicate or an older person or its really windy where you are. I ride at 80mph frequently in open country and have no issue with wind.

·
MOTORADOR
10,820 Posts
Here's an alternative medicine for you:

1) Slow down.

2) Avoid the freeways like a plague (the back roads are more fun and you can only go so fast there).

In all seriousness, I too have a Vstrom and I enjoy long trips on it but I also ended up setting up one of my naked SV's for touring and wind has never been an issue for me. You get used to it after a while. Yes, you will develop a neck like a football player but the ladies love it, so...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I use a universal fit Givi when commuting. Comes off in a minute when I am riding for fun

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
I use a universal fit Givi when commuting. Comes off in a minute when I am riding for fun

Hi, I absolutely love the looks of the matte black SV650 and I'm considering buying one as my first big bike. I'm a bit hesitant for a couple of reasons, namely the apparent plank for a seat, and the poor wind protection on a naked bike. But I see you have a lot of the modifications I was also thinking of. For me it would serve as an occasional commute, a weekend bike and touring bike. Could I ask you some questions?

I see you have an airhawk. Which version you did you get? Does it help your butt alot? The corbin/holeshot seats seem nice, but are already quite expensive and I am afraid of shipping costs to Europe. I also don't know if it'd be compatible with the Givi 3111fz, which I saw you got as well. Did you consider touring? Maybe with the Givi plx3111 and side carriers?

How is the windscreen? From the photo it seems pretty high, does it make highways comfortable?

Do the hand protectors make a big difference?

And a last question, if I may, how is the seat for a passenger? Could it also be made more comfortable with an airhawk cushion? One of my goals is to do some touring with my girlfriend, a windscreen, side carriers and a top box.

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
It is an Airhawk 2 for cruisers. I would not ride the bike without it for any duration, it raises me a bit so my legs aren't as cramped. I find without it you are almost locked into one position, with it it allows me some fore/aft movement.

The windscreen really helps for me with cooler temps . It takes the main blast off the chest and channels the air to the top of my helmet. The pic is deceiving I actually find the screen about 1-2 inches low letting wind hit me eye level. I would prefer a bit taller but I had this one available. (I am 5' 8 )

Yes to handguards as well, it makes a big difference in cooler temps by blocking the wind. I can ride with insulated leather gloves to about 0C without discomfort-below that and I put on a heated jacket and gloves. I have ridden for hours below -10C

As to a pillion, my wife is fine without an airhawk. The topbox is a must in my opinion because it gives her the ability to lean back and relax without fearing falling off.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Many thanks for your reply! Can your wife sit comfortably for long durations of time? Also, do you think she can still sit as comfortably with 2 panniers?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Many thanks for your reply! Can your wife sit comfortably for long durations of time? Also, do you think she can still sit as comfortably with 2 panniers?
She has no complaints and I would know for sure if she did heh. I put some soft panniers and she doesn't mind

·
Registered
14 Posts
Awesome, thanks, do you clip the panniers on your givi 3111fz or do you use an extra mounting system? which panniers did you get? sorry for all the questions :)

also sorry for highjacking the thread... just wanna be sure to make the right decision :)

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hello, the windscreen looks nice and tall. May I ask what brand it is and where to get it? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I installed an Ermax on mine. Took over a month to get here though.

Over 80 the wind is still noticable, but drastically reduced from stock.

What is the bottom bolt connected to? Did you have to drill a hole to fit the Ermax screen? I hope not. If you decide to take it off you'll be left with a hole in your stock front cowl.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts