Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the girlfriend and I are seriously considering a trip from Connecticut up to Nova Scotia this summer. I'd be taking my Daytona, she'd be taking my SV.

We want to be able to talk to each other on the road: directions, tell the other we have to pee, decide where to stop for food, make dirty jokes to each other, etc.

Can anyone recommend some ways to do this? Preferably for not piles and piles of money...

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
My recommendation would be to make her your wife and get about 15 years of marriage under your belt. Then you can just enjoy the silence.

But seriously - sorry, I can't help.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
My recommendation would be to make her your wife and get about 15 years of marriage under your belt. Then you can just enjoy the silence.

But seriously - sorry, I can't help.
That's great! I can't wait till the wife wants to get her own bike. Silence!

Enjoy your trip!

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL, nucular is amusing. I am hoping for the wife bit though. :)

Over $200 is fine. If I could keep it under $600 total, it'd be great.

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
Get a helmet communication setup - there are alot of brands and Im sure you could find a used set.

We just use the method that Enrico suggested.

He forgot to add the "Bang on shoulder", translation Im scared sh1tless ;)

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
long time ago several LD riders recommended to me to save my pennies and get an Autocom system....... I tried cheaping out and only wasted my money
I have an Autocom system now and it was worth the waiting

the noise cancelling headset works well, sound quality at 100+mpg is as good as at 30mph

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hand signals all the way! Mars needs some quiet time from Venus.

I was seriously considering a helmet communicator system, but then I regained my senses before I spent the money... While we're on the bike together, I never have to hear
"You should be in the other lane"
"You need to turn right in 8 miles"
"Do you know what so-and-so said in work today? blah blah blah blah"
"You're going too fast", "You're going too slow"
"You see that 18-wheeler, right?"
"There are people putting on their brakes ahead".

The only thing I get is "you just scared the heck out of me" and that's in the form of a hand signal when she smacks me...

·
Registered
997 Posts
Can be had for well under $200's...

My dad has a setup on his Harley for hearing his GPS, radio, music, phone via bluetooth etc... but I would talk to him with just a GPRS radio (he had one to).

Just buy the helmet mount set (not sure what brand my dad bought us...) its a small round mic and two flat headphones that all get mounted permanently in the helmet. One cord sticks out and gets mounted to the bike.

The bike has some cords mounted to it, one to connect to you, one to connect to the radio, and one going to a switch on the handle bar (PPT, push to talk button).

Then you just need some family radios!

Works really well, never used it on my R6 or my new Buell but used it on the Honda MB5, only went 55mph but plenty windy without any fairing at all and with the full face I had no trouble understanding what my dad was saying.

This solution is very cheap and if you just want bike to bike its the best way to go. I think the mic setups are probably under $50's each but cant be sure and then you will have to shop around for the best deal on radios, dont need anything fancy but some will have better reception then others, at the ranges you will be (no more then 1/2 a mile usually) it wont matter much.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, to clarify a few things:
I *do not* want it to connect to my cell phone. We'll be in places where there will not be cell phone service, and I don't want to leave my phone on all the time anyway. Again, we're on *different bikes* not the same bike.

Now, can anyone recommend *a specific product or model* that they've used that they like? How about some links?

I've been overwhelmed by the sheer number of options, and I can't choose what brand or model to get.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Scala Q2

You can find them all over the place (including ebay) at about $300 for a two headset pack. The guys I ride with use them and I just ordered mine. You can hook it up to your GPS to hear directions, play music through it using a stereo bluetooth mp3 player or phone that plays music, it has a built in FM tuner, and when you want to talk to your girlfriend, just start talking and it opens up a connection to her. You have the option for a cell phone hook up too, although you said you're not worried about it.

Here's a review on it from Web Bike World

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks DieTrying. Which Scala do you have? I'm looking at the Scala Rider Q2 Multiset, which seems like it's almost exactly what I'm looking for...

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I just got the single Rider Q2. I won't need the multiset since the guys I ride with already have theirs. I'm going to use it for bike to bike chat, GPS, and music in between those 2 things.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I'm surprized no one makes a cellular phone helmet with voice activated calling, not that i would personally buy one but people seem to be so in love with their phone technology these days.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts

I was seriously considering a helmet communicator system, but then I regained my senses before I spent the money... While we're on the bike together, I never have to hear
"You should be in the other lane"
"You need to turn right in 8 miles"
"Do you know what so-and-so said in work today? blah blah blah blah"
"You're going too fast", "You're going too slow"
"You see that 18-wheeler, right?"
"There are people putting on their brakes ahead".

The only thing I get is "you just scared the heck out of me" and that's in the form of a hand signal when she smacks me...
:roflmao:

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I have this setup - http://www.whitehorsepress.com/product_info.php?products_id=5311

TBH, it's not that great. Cheap compared to the better systems, but I've had a few issues. The push-to-talk button SUCKS. I don't know if it's cheap design or if I'm really rough on it or what, but I seem to have to replace it frequently (thankfully, it's relatively inexpensive). And I've been occasionally getting little electrical gremlins - loud static that goes on for a few seconds and then goes away, whole thing shutting down and then just coming back on on it's own, etc. I don't use it except for bike-to-bike with my buddy (and pipe in my Sirius radio), and we only go on trips once or twice a year...so I'm not sure if I'm going to get something different or just do without or what.

I hear good things about the Starcomm system http://www.starcom1.com/ and I've never heard anything bad about the Autocomm except for the price http://www.topgearaccess.com/autocom/

These are all full intercom systems - they'll play your satellite radio, GPS, cell phone, two way radio or whatever. For bike-to-bike, you'll need to add a two way radio (GMRS). I've got a pair of Midlands and they work great.

Chatterbox is another option. I've heard some people say they work *ok*, and I've heard other people say they have nothing but problems with them. I have no personal experience with them.

There's another brand out there that is similar to the chatterbox, but they have proprietary frequencies (you can only talk to other people with the same system, can't talk to other people with regular GMRS radios). They were originally used by snowmobilers, but I've heard that motorcyclists have used them with great success, too. Supposed to be pretty good stuff. ******, I can't remember the name brand....I'll reply back if I think of it. (edit - found it - http://www.collett.mb.ca/ )

Only system I personally have experience with is the IMC system.

·
Premium Member
3,056 Posts
Check out the Firefox Route 66 system.
It allows you to use whatever earbuds you normally use, and connects to a GMRS radio for bike to bike. It has an audio input for your GPS/Ipod, etc input and mutes it when a call is made. It comes with a PTT switch as well. One cool thing is that it uses a neck mike so it isn't affected by windnoise. Very affordable too.

http://firefoxtechnologies.zoovy.com/product/FT-66/Route_66_Intercom_System.html

·
Iron Butt Moderator
9,271 Posts
The one problem with the Scala I had is I could not hear it pick up at speed because I wear ear plugs.

I have a J&M CB with ed-sets audio in my helmet, love it.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
You sound like the guy in a german newsgroup who said "I only go on vacation with my wife by bike nowadays. I know the whole day where she is, but I don´t have to listen to her".
Another guy BTW wired the power for the comm system to the lights and said when he had enough, he´d just switch off the light - silence ensues. :)

To be a bit ontopic - my wife and me toured more than 20.000 km together so far (15.000 of that with two bikes) and never really thought we´d need a comm system. The last thing you´d need on a twisty mountain road is a sudden voice in the headphones.

Ciao
Jan

1 - 20 of 24 Posts