Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently converting my bike into something suitable for touring, so I was wondering if somebody can recommend some modifications that might increase gas mileage. I currently have a Scorpion slipon(the bike was used so I don't know if its been rejetted or had any other engine mods for that matter.) and my gas light comes on after approx 125 miles. For someone like me who likes to travel, this is pretty bad. So, can anyone recommend some mods to get this gas guzzing bike back to some decent mileage?

So far I'm looking into getting a PCIII. Anything else I should get?

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
first off, do you have a 1st gen carbed model, or a 2nd gen FI model ?

FI models do not have jets and PCs' do not go on carbed models

best fuel economy is stock jetting/FI, stock exaust, you might get a few mpg with a 16t front sprocket, riding within the posted speed limit also gets you best milage, aerodynamic improvements might help your milage a bit

·
Registered
105 Posts
also remember...short trips will get you worse mileage than long trips. My gas lite comes on around the same time for everyday around town going to work. I took a long trip from northern cali to southern cali and it went way up. It didnt come on till 150-160 equating 50+ mpg. cant ask for much better than that

·
Registered
56 Posts
I got 55 mpg on my stock sv650s for the first few tanks, when most of what I did was commuting at 50mph and light twisty stuff. My worst was low 40s mpg when I was doing twisties pretty aggressively last weekend. So I would say that a light wrist is the best mod you can get. Don't go much higher than 55mph, or tuck in when you do.

Keep in mind I'm pretty new here...

EDIT:

I try to be on the highest gear possible whenever I can, and I'm in 6th even if only doing 40mph. After adjusting the TPS the bike has plenty of power at 3000 rpms. To be honest, I can ride in 6th at 2500 rpm without power complaints either. This probably helps a lot as well.

Hope I haven't been completely useless...

André

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
i dont know how you guys get that gas milieage. all i got is a 1k snorkel w/ k&n, slipon, pcIII, and 46 tooth rear, and my gas light comes on consistently around 110-115. it doesnt matter if i am on highway, backroads, long/short trip, it just kills gas. maybe its just the rider, i dunno

·
Registered
105 Posts
part is the rider yes but you prolly wont see the 50+ mpg unless you are at a constant speed for an extended period of time. I was doing 70-80 the whole way on my trip and still made those numbers. I thinks its all about consistansy

·
Registered
13 Posts
if you unplug the fuel line to one of the carbs, you will double your mileage! the HP will suffer a bit though. ;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Its more than how fast you are going; its how fast you get there. Try taking off the lights as slow as the cars around you, hard as that might be. I'd be surprised if you mpg didn't improve dramatically. While doing that, try not to run in rpms above 5 or 6k, or bellow 2k. Its what I concentrated on doing my first gas tank off the dealer, and got 55mpg that weekend.

André

·
Registered
542 Posts
Similar to what the other guys have been saying: I mainly keep it between 3 and 5 grand with occasional fun runs and havent got less than 50 mpg for the last 5000 miles. My range has varied from 165 to my personal best of 188 miles until the gas light. I would imagine the 16t would make this a bit easier. Oh and my bike is still stock.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Things you can do to get maximum MPG out of your bike. These are not necessarily in any order.
1. Drive like an old lady or old man (never going over 55mph or 3,500rpm in any gear.
2. Easy on the throttle and easy on the brakes
3. Anticipate street lights (never having to stop the bike)
4. Make sure bike is always kept in good tune (fresh plugs, clean air filter)
5. Always keep tires properly inflated (check cold tire psi at least once a week)
6. Use 87 octane gas
7. In your case with a used bike ( I'd check to make sure carbs are jetted correctly, might be to rich)
8. Lose weight (weight costs MPG & HP)
9. When speeding along at 55mph, always lay flat across the tank (better aerodynamics)
I 'm sure I've missed some, but you get the idea, right? Welcome to the site, ride and post often.
Cheers! ;)  

·
Registered
39 Posts
An air filter will decrease mileage.
More air = more fuel
Back to stock should give the best mileage. Maybe higher gearing, I don't know they gear them fairly high from the factory.

·
Registered
56 Posts
03Dynasty said:
More air = more fuel
From my (limited) understanding of the SV fuel injection (no O2 sensors, no MAF sensors, only TPS), more air simply means more air. So simply installing a high flow filter would lean the bike out, which could increase fuel mileage and/or burn a hole through the piston if extremely lean. If you remap your bike, though, more air will equal more fuel.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I completely agree, just didn't think it needed explaining. :p

·
Registered
56 Posts
03Dynasty said:
I completely agree, just didn't think it needed explaining. :p
cool, I don't want to seem like an a-hole either...

BTW, this weekend I did 120 miles of touring on backroads with my dad, who rides a v-star 650. That is to say, I was going at a cruiser pace (no more than 70mph, easy on turns, etc...), and got 56.278 mpg. Not bad at all, considering we were at 65mph most of the time.

As another aside; don't trust your reserve light too much. I've heard of very big discrepancies from bike to bike (even same model). Some come on too early, some too late.

André

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
I got better fuel economy with a few mods- slip-on, Renegade air filter, ignition advancer- than I did stock, but I suspect the carb setup may simply have been better. A badly set up bike will generally give bad economy no matter what the spec is. I'm getting less milesnow, but then I'm riding harder and it's not so well set up.

Changing the gearing will give a really big effect if you do a lot of highway miles.

·
Registered
101 Posts
03Dynasty said:
More air = more fuel
Back to stock should give the best mileage. Maybe higher gearing, I don't know they gear them fairly high from the factory.
More air and more fuel = more POWER. But under the same usage conditions, i.e., SAME power, a less-restrictive air filter means less work is done to bring the air into the engine, hence you could theoretically get BETTER fuel economy.

Thing is, with a low restriction intake and rejetted carbs, part-throttle mixture becomes richer. So worse fuel economy :( But not as bad as some report, and NOT *directly* due to lower intake restriction.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts