Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are quite a few photography buffs on here and thought I'd ask for some assistance on making a decision on a new digital camera. Basically I want something that's relatively compact for easy carry but not too small, has decent megapixels and a large LCD screen. I'm open to any suggestions so all opinions are much appreciated! Thanks and take care

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm pretty camera stupid...Price range between $200 and $300, I'd like at least 8MP's and a large LCD screen, 8X + Zoom would be nice. Basically a decent user friendly all around versatile camera that takes good pics but don't need professional quality. I've checked out the Nikon L100 and the Canon SD88IS, both seem nice but there are so **** many it's hard to make a choice. I will look into the Olympus cameras, my Dad swears by them. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
260 Posts
megapixels do not really contribute to picture quality as many people believe. the megapixels determines the photo size...so like 8MP would be something like 2,000pixels x 4000 pixels big on your computer screen...which people normally do not have monitors that big..so unless you want a big print, you don't really need to be going over 10MP...or you'll just spend time resizing them all the time at high quality.

Anyyway, I'm really questioning the build-quality of Canon P&S because I've gone through two of them in 2 years...I think I take good care of them, but those darn screws keep coming loose on them and then it goes down hill from there! @#$*!!

If you don't mind alittle bulkiness, I'd look into Olympus SP series...they take excellent pictures and they should be under $300 range. Similar to Olympus in Nikon would be the Coolpix P series...which are also around your price range and takes as good of a picture. Honestly, it's usually the photographer, not the camera that really makes the picture.

·
Banned Member
4,562 Posts
If you can go a little higher you can get into the lower end Canon and Nikon DSLR's for about $400.

The Rebel XT/XTi is pretty compact (for an SLR).
Bah!!! The Olympus E-4X0 series are the smallest dSLRs on the market :nana:
(shameless plug for Oly)

You could probably score an XT with an 18-55mm kit lens for less than $400. I think you're looking for something pocketable like a P&S, right?

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
I'll vouch for Canon quality, regardless of what minoupak said (not calling you a liar man... just saying... mine's worked great). My little A520 has taken a sh-tload of abuse, and still takes great pics. Anything in the Powershot series should be right up your ally.

Also, make sure you get something with OPTICAL zoom, rather than digital zoom. Much better quality on pictures.

Most people don't need anything over 4MP. That'll give you a good print at 8x10. But most camera manufacturers don't make anything less than 6 nowadays. :rolleyes:

Also keep in mind that a larger LCD screen will eat through batteries.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Bah!!! The Olympus E-4X0 series are the smallest dSLRs on the market :nana:
(shameless plug for Oly)

You could probably score an XT with an 18-55mm kit lens for less than $400. I think you're looking for something pocketable like a P&S, right?

Olympus?? are you for real?

Canon and Nikon DSLRs are the best user friendly cameras that are good out there. I personally am a Canon guy. The problem with point and shoot cameras is that you have a lag between button push and actual picture capture, thats why i love DSLRs even for beginners. plus if you get a DSLR and decide you want to upgrade you can. You'll also find a lot more accessories for Canon and Nikon than Olympus :nana:

Also are you talking about the canon Rebel XT? that is a great starter DSLR

·
Banned Member
4,562 Posts
Olympus?? are you for real?

Canon and Nikon DSLRs are the best user friendly cameras that are good out there. I personally am a Canon guy. The problem with point and shoot cameras is that you have a lag between button push and actual picture capture, thats why i love DSLRs even for beginners. plus if you get a DSLR and decide you want to upgrade you can. You'll also find a lot more accessories for Canon and Nikon than Olympus :nana:

Also are you talking about the canon Rebel XT? that is a great starter DSLR
Elitist :p

Ever shoot Oly? There are just as many accessories, just not as many from third parties... well, lenses at least, but Olympus lenses are the best in the market, at any price point (and they're designed for digital from the ground up). Try to find any review that'll say otherwise. The new E-30 wipes the floor with the new 50D, especially in the dynamic range department... and it's cheaper. Oh, and I can shoot with Leica lenses :nana:

All kidding and camera rivalry aside, if you go dSLR, you won't be disappointed with anything on the current market. Yeah, the XT is a great starter, so is the E-410/420 (Oly) and the D40x (Nikon).

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
My 8.1mp Sony Cybershot recently died. It was a nice camera. compact and very durable. I have dropped it several times with no problems (even got the dents to prove it), but I want to try something more compact and a little more high tech. I'll be shopping for a new digital camera some time before the Rally.

My brother has a Canon Rebel (new digital), he has lenses and filters and a mac pro for editing. I plan on getting a nice photo shoot for my bike after it's all painted. Anyways I thought for what I do and where I take my camera and I use it ALL the time, it is very important that my next camera is extremely durable (and possibly waterproof).

·
Banned Member
4,562 Posts
I'm not sure you understand just how cool Canon cameras are. ;D
Actually, I was looking to switch when I plan on upgrading in July. Canon and Nikon have a lot to offer (larger sensor, shallower DOF, larger viewfinder, etc) ... and as mentioned before, more third party support. As I kept with the research, Olympus wasn't even on the menu. I can't remember what made me look at them, but as I did, I started to like the features more and more. It's really hard to beat what they offer. Then I bought the macro lens. I figure that I've got too much in the Oly stuff to let it go. Every brand has their strengths and weaknesses and Olympus just fits me better.

Anyway, Canons and Nikons are REALLY nice, and so is Olympus.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts