Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I need a new battery, mine is dead, the original from an '04 sv650s. First time ever buying a new battery for a motorcycle.

What are the recommendations out there? The local dealer offered a basic led battery for $86 or a gel battery for $103. Thoughts on doing that vs. online? What should I look for etc? I'm in a hurry to get this new battery in, so something fast would be great. I tried messaging Maviryk but his inbox is full.

Thanks!

John

·
Registered
300 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I bought a gel one from a local auto parts store for $50 or $60. I would recommend a gel or agm over a lead acid just due to leakage and spills.

I dont think Mavryk has been active here in quite some time. In any case, there are too many commercially available lithium packs to buy a home made one. IMO though, if you aren't tracking they aren't worth the extra $$$

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Buy a battery from Ridersdiscount. I think I paid about 70 bucks shipped for a basic Yuasa lead (OEM) battery. If you can, pay a bit more for the Li-ion batteries such as Ballistic or Shorai.

·
Super Moderator
8,930 Posts
I am a Yuasa lover myself.
+1

If you're going with standard replacement, Yuasa is the way to go. Not all batteries are created equal.

Don't let it (or any lead-acid battery) sit discharged, and it will last close to 10 years.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yuasa makes a great battery but I honestly have had lots of luck with the cheapies from walmart also. Either way, you get a year max out of a battery in AZ.

·
Super Moderator
8,930 Posts
Yuasa makes a great battery but I honestly have had lots of luck with the cheapies from walmart also. Either way, you get a year max out of a battery in AZ.
That may have more to do with the cheapie battery than the AZ sun. ;)

·
Super Moderator
8,930 Posts
13 months is too short for any battery.

If that is happening repeatedly, the regulator output voltage might be too high. It is not the weather.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Ive heard yuasas are nice, but my local dealer only had bikemaster trugels for 100 and its worked great so far
Trugels have a longer warranty than any of the Yuasa batteries. That and they are typically cheaper. In that sense they aren't bad, but I have had to warranty about 15 of them (pry out of 100 sold).

·
Registered
300 Posts
I've been told a battery is a battery. Neglect is what kills the 90% of the time. For 40$ if I only get couple years out of a battery I'm ok with that. What average life span on motorcycle battery neways? 5 years if ur lucky.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
I've been told a battery is a battery. Neglect is what kills the 90% of the time. For 40$ if I only get couple years out of a battery I'm ok with that. What average life span on motorcycle battery neways? 5 years if ur lucky.
I wouldn't say if you're lucky. I've heard lots of Yuasas lasting over 5 years easily. I just recently replaced my battery a couple months ago, and it was an OEM battery.

·
Premium Member
4,845 Posts
The OEM Yuasa battery in my K6 is 6 years old and going strong. It's not unheard of for a Yuasa to go 9 or 10 years, if treated properly.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Another plus 1 on the agm, or gel. No acid leaking or spilling, and no overnight trickle charge to deal with. I forgot the name of the last one I got but it was an agm that was yellow and had modular terminals that allowed either a standard or reverse terminal placement, or even an across type placement.

·
MOTORADOR
10,955 Posts
I've been riding everyday for a year under the extreme temperatures of Utah using a cheap TMS gel battery (ebay) without any problem.

Sent from my left shoe using the Motorcycle app

1 - 19 of 19 Posts