Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this bike for my g/f- love it... tiny bike like my ninja ... just a blast hehe

Its got some major problems though... things that by design ... are just awful.

Firstly the brakes are all cable... Thats not so bad, nice to not have to bleed them I suppose but frankly, I think the hydraulic brakes are far superior...

Next, and this is my biggest problem, the front brake is a drum (and so is the rear).

Thus far I have found to stop the bike you MUST use both brakes... I almost feel like the rear does more than the front.

Also - the thing has no tach... Id love for it to tell me how fast its spinning... theres no oil lights... no extra electronics at all - kinda brilliant, kinda scary haha.

So, Brakes and Tach... any ideas? Can I upgrade to a disk in the front? Anyone done that? And would anyone suggest a good universal ignition (spark) run analog tachometer? Looking at the traltech digi stuff but... I think wed rather keep it looking old school :)

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
20 year old brake pads don't work well. Look into fresh pads and clean up the drum, then learn how to properly adjust the cable so you're getting maximum force. (a 90 degree angle of the lever arm is essential, and well lubricated cables.) A well adjusted drum brake performs surprisingly well.

You've got two other obvious options: replace/re-lace the wheel with something that has a larger brake drum, or replace the whole front end with a (presumably newer) disc brake setup.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
www.hondatwins.net -- They have a section devoted to all the years of the Nighthawk/Rebel. You'll find lots of help there. You'll definitely want to rejet the carb if it's still OEM; it'll get rid of the sluggish warm up and slow throttle response.

+1 on the brake maintenance.
I am guessing the carbs were re done some time recently- it fires up easily even on a cool morning (well nothing below 50 yet but well see) - and the throttle responds better than my ninja's did.

I will check out the hondatwins site thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts